GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/674-re-%5Bibc%5D-have-anyone-heard-rhodonite-rose-stone-painting.html)

Anton Nijhuis 23-01-2003 03:41 PM

[IBC] Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"?

You can find Rhodonite just about anywhere in the world, in Vancouver
almost every shop in Chinatown has it for sale as a landscape scene. I
pick up the odd piece at flea markets. Look at ebay lots there listed.
This landscape type Rhodonite is not pure - meaning it has inclusions
within making it less valuable.

Anton

Chris Cochrane 23-01-2003 04:55 PM

[IBC] Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"?

Rhodonite is the material from which the famed polished _sakura-ishi_
"cherry stone" _biseki_ are composed. In Kyoto, these stones are sometimes
seen among the footpaths where traffic has polished them to bring out an
extraordinary hue of rose-pink against a black-green ground.

For biseki, the the stone is best fashioned to represent blooming
hillside(s) in 3-dimensions . Specifically, the hillsides might be
considered above the swirling waters of Arashiyama (River) in hills near
Kyoto where the visitors view a very brief (3-day) blooming of cherries.
The fallen cherry blossom represents transience and brevity of life as a
recurring Japanese art theme.

A sukura-ishi representing blooms on hills and noted as from Prince
Chichibu's family is featured as the first exhibit shown in the book
entitled _7th International Bonsai and Suiseki Exhibition (1986)_. His
Imperial Highness Prince Chichibu (Yasuhito) was born in 1902, the second
son of Emperor Taisho. He married Setsuko Matsudaira. Prince Chichibu
passed away in 1953. His life was too brief... :-(. Her Imperial Highness
Princess Chichibu (Setsuko) was born in 1909 and passed away in 1995. I
expect the stone retains the name "Chichibu Sakura-ishi."

There is also a petal-patterned, Japanese "cherry-blossom stone" known as
_sakura-ishi_ among rockhounds that has nothing to do with the rose-pink
rhodonite.

Rhodonite sometimes forms as a crystal, translucent stone , as well.

It is lovely material, but I'd think it wasted if thinnly-sliced for a
bonsai or suiseki enthusiast.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"? I came
accross an article in Taipei Times and

it sounds pretty interesting. Here is the article...

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat...2/12/01/185540

And it mentioned that the Rhodonite in Taiwan is among the best,
better then Australia ones.

Basically they cut and slice up some huge Rhodonites, look through
them and find the best piece that

resemble Chinese landscape paintings and add a nice frame with some
Chinese characters to it.

Here are couple photos from the article above...

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat.../01/0000047407
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat.../01/0000047409

I am thinking about getting few of this through friends in Taiwan to
go along with my bonsai. You think it's a good buy? Any feedbacks
are welcome. Thank you. :-)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

batmon 23-01-2003 07:58 PM

[IBC] Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"?

Really? I don't see any in San Jose area here. I have hard time try
to find them on eBay too. Can you tell me what key word(s) to search
under? I use "Rhodonite painting" or "Rhodonite lanscape" and comes
up nothing. Serach under "Rhodonite" and just come up with bunch
necklance and stuff. Let me know, thank you.

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Alan Walker 23-01-2003 10:28 PM

[IBC] Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"?

My wife and I got a nice stone like this while at the California Bonsai Society's 45th
anniversary convention last march in Burbank. The vendor was Angela Cheng of Tian Tao, 2326 Huntington
Drive, San Marino, CA 91108. She can be reached at I think they have very
agreeable prices.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
batmon wrote:
Really? I don't see any in San Jose area here. I have hard time try
to find them on eBay too. Can you tell me what key word(s) to search
under? I use "Rhodonite painting" or "Rhodonite landscape" and comes
up nothing. Search under "Rhodonite" and just come up with bunch
necklace and stuff. Let me know, thank you.
=====
======
Hi,
Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"? I came
across an article in Taipei Times and it sounds pretty interesting. Here is the article...
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat...2/12/01/185540
And it mentioned that the Rhodonite in Taiwan is among the best,
better then Australia ones.

Basically they cut and slice up some huge Rhodonite, look through

Alan Walker 24-01-2003 01:43 AM

[IBC] Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"?

FWIW, I found a file with a photo of our stone and posted it on the Suiseki Gallery at
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...ast=1025810731

batnews 24-01-2003 04:46 AM

[IBC] Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"?

That's beautiful!! Is it all nature?! Wow~ I am really impressed. Can
you tell me the price range for a piece like this? Thank you.

"Alan Walker" wrote in message
FWIW, I found a file with a photo of our stone and posted it on the

Suiseki Gallery at

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...nsaiclub_suise
kigallery&key=1043359618&first=1043359618&last=102 5810731

batmon wrote:
[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++