GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Mortar Mix (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/67431-%5Bibc%5D-mortar-mix.html)

Brian Berggoetz 27-06-2004 06:15 PM

[IBC] Mortar Mix

Yesterday I was watching one of those landscaping shows on the garden
channel. They were installing some stones for a walkway. They expained
that they wanted a ground base underneath it that would compact as much
as possible. What they used was large granite chunks, about 1" round,
mixed with granite dust. They said the most compacted action occurs
with large chunks mixed with fine material.

Around here the most popular soil is cactus mix (fines) and grit or
pumice. Local experts? Hmmph.

Brian Sunset Zone 12 Tucson, AZ

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 27-06-2004 07:16 PM

[IBC] Mortar Mix

In a message dated 6/27/2004 12:31:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Around here the most popular soil is cactus mix (fines) and grit or
pumice. Local experts? Hmmph.

We try to sift out as much of the fines as possible. In the mix I use
the fine are for the most part organic material.
I have a set of soil scoops with mesh in the bottom and before I use
the mix I run it between the scoops to get out as many fines as possible.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislik of Whitefish, Montana and Chase Rosade of New
Hope, PA.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++