Old 28-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Brian Berggoetz

Default [IBC] Cactus Mix

After further review I have found the theory behind the cactus mix
phenomenon here. Supposedly the coarse mix is bad for roots because it
lets too much air into the root area. When it gets very hot that air
heats up and cooks the roots. Whereas the dense cactus mix keeps the
roots cool by staying wet and keeping too much hot air out away from the
roots. By not allowing hot air to invade the root area the extra
moisture keeps the roots cool when it's 100-plus degrees. This is just
the opposite of what I have read elsewhere, that extra moisture will
heat up the roots and cook them. Can anyone shed light on this?

Brian Sunset zone 12 Confusion, AZ

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-06-2004, 09:02 AM
TreeBay

After further review I have found the theory behind the cactus mix

phenomenon here.

The answer to the confusion is simple: both theories are based on "hot
air."

Regards,

Matt

--
TreeBay - Tips:5¢ Advice:Free

-Carpe Tree-um- (Seize the bonsai!)
'TreeBay Bonsai Tools & Supplies' (http://www.TreeBay.com)
Thank you for supporting bonsaiTALK.
TreeBay's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...tinfo&userid=5
View this thread: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...?threadid=7295

Old 28-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

That sounds like nonsense to me. Water heats up fairly easily --
and then holds the heat for quite a while. A pot that sat in the
hot sun is gonna stay hot for a while even after the sun goes
down!

I'd always assumed any benefit it might have is simply to hold
more water in the pot in your very dry climate.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Pat Patterson

G'day all...

Cactus Mix? YUK!!! I gave up on it a long time ago.

It retains toooo much water for bonsai.

I used to use it for collected trees...but, have found that pure Perlite is
better...and pure pumice is more better.

Also used to us it, 10% or less, for my organic component...have found that
orchid bark is much better.

Have a good day...

Pat
Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'

Old 29-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Gary Biggs

Pat,

I agree about Perlite being great to use with collected material.
Although it is porous and drains quite rapidly, it seems to hold enough
moisture to encourage new root growth. I have not, however, had
similiar success with pumice. I could not even offer a conjecture as to
why that has been the case.

Gary

--
Gary Biggs - Hanford Bonsai Society

Como gastamos nuestros dias es como gastamos nuestros vidas.
Gary Biggs's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...fo&userid=1740
View this thread: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...?threadid=7295