GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/67667-re-%5Bibc%5D-bonsai-mix-source-organic-component-s.html)

John Dhom 01-07-2004 09:06 PM

[IBC] Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s)

I read, I comprehend, I obey.

/jhd

Central Tennessee, USDA zone 6a-6b, Sunset zone 33

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
Hey Craig,

That's interesting. I'd have to see the compost... but it

sounds like it
could fit the bill as well. Having only seen compost at

lowes/home depot I'd
not considered it for my mixes.

The compost at Lowes/Home Depot is little more than black talcum
powder. DO NOT USE IT WITH BONSAI (though it would be a good
muck component for root-over-rock). Make your own compost.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

John Dhom 01-07-2004 09:06 PM

[IBC] Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s)

Yeah... bonsai mix is expensive enough... truffles would be a bit exotic for
my mix ;)

/jhd

"Steve wachs" wrote in message
oops sorry folks truffles was supposed to be turface. I guess spell check
never heard of turface

SteveW

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

John Dhom 01-07-2004 09:06 PM

[IBC] Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s)

Understood.

Yeah, I use a top dressing too... especially on the perlite mixes.

Best,
/jhd

Central Tennessee, USDA zone 6a-6b, Sunset zone 33

"Steve wachs" wrote in message
I am not sure what size screen use for the compost. I use window screen
framed in a box to hold soil. I use this for the compost. I mill the peat

moss
through the screen also. The perlite is largest size component. I have
purchased plants that had truffle or something gritty, but I do not find

it
appealing. I prefer soil moss

SteveW

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Craig Cowing 01-07-2004 10:05 PM

Jim Lewis wrote:

Hey Craig,

That's interesting. I'd have to see the compost... but it

sounds like it
could fit the bill as well. Having only seen compost at

lowes/home depot I'd
not considered it for my mixes.

The compost at Lowes/Home Depot is little more than black talcum
powder. DO NOT USE IT WITH BONSAI (though it would be a good
muck component for root-over-rock). Make your own compost.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Absolutely. The compost you're getting commercially seems to be composted manure,
many times. My compost has a certain level of fines, but a lot of it is partially
broken down wood or bark, leaf mold, bits of twigs, etc. Great stuff.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Craig Cowing 01-07-2004 10:05 PM

[IBC] Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s)

John Dhom wrote:

Hey Bill,

Thx info! I read, I comprehend, I like ;)

Turface MVP is a little on the small side, Turface pro is even a bit
smaller. Is the lava-rock/grat-grit a bit bigger?

Best,
/jhd

Central Tennessee, USDA zone 6a-6b, Sunset zone 33

FWIW I use Turface MVP and find it to be just right for my needs.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Oct. 16, 11 AM--be there!!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Corcoran. Bil 01-07-2004 11:02 PM

[IBC] Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s)

Turface MVP is a little smaller. The lava rock is a little larger so it
balances out.

wmcorcor

==

Billy M. Rhodes 02-07-2004 12:03 PM

[IBC] Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s)

In a message dated 7/1/2004 11:04:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I was afraid you were going to ask that g. I'm not sure of the brand, the
product is simply called "Soil Conditioner," although the trademark is "The
Water Keeper." Billy, do you know the brand?

It is a Fafard product, comes in a mostly purple bag. It is composted
pine bark.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislik of Whitefish, Montana and Chase Rosade of New
Hope, PA.