Old 25-01-2003, 03:40 AM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] air layering for new nebari

`I plan on air layering an acer palmatum this spring.. in order to develop
a completely new set of roots.
Once the new leaves begin to hardern off in the spring.... I want to layer
the tree with a complete ring at the base of trunk.
and hopefully... by mid to late summer....remove the old root base and
transplant. what i'm thinking.. is
can i leave all the foliage up top while the roots are beginning to form?
will it stress the tree too much
to leave all the top foliage as is?? or does the old root system continue
to nourish the tree
even though it has been ringed?

steve (lancaster PA)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-01-2003, 03:59 AM
Marty & Patty Weiser

Steve,

The general idea in an airlayer is to remove all of the outer downward
flowing vessels but to leave most of the inner upward flowing vessels.
As a result leaving as much foliage as possible is good since it is
sending nutrients to the roots - roots that must be formed in your
airlayer. That is one of the reasons why you generally wait until the
leaves have hardened off a bit - they are producing the maximum amount
of food. The only danger is soon after you make the ring when you may
have cut a bit deep so it is a good idea to mist the foliage or protect
it a bit from drying for about a week.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-01-2003, 12:42 PM
kevin bailey

Marty us bang on with his advice. I always leave all the leaves on. One
point that may need clarification is that bit about possibly cutting a
bit deep. Don't be too hesitant with the cut. Use a sharp knife and go
through the bark to the wood. Then use the edge of the blade to scrape
the layer of cambium away. If this isn't done, the layer often fails or
bridges the gap, in my experience.

Good luck

Kev Bailey
Wales UK

Subject: [IBC] air layering for new nebari

`I plan on air layering an acer palmatum this spring.. in order to
develop
a completely new set of roots.
Once the new leaves begin to hardern off in the spring.... I want to
layer
the tree with a complete ring at the base of trunk.
and hopefully... by mid to late summer....remove the old root base and
transplant. what i'm thinking.. is
can i leave all the foliage up top while the roots are beginning to
form?
will it stress the tree too much
to leave all the top foliage as is?? or does the old root system
continue
to nourish the tree
even though it has been ringed?

steve (lancaster PA)

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Jim Lewis

It helps if you also twist a wire tightly around the trunk just
under the top edge of the cut.

David Thoreau - Walden

[...]

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

10/01/2003

***************

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 26-04-2004 12:18 AM
[IBC] More questions.....This time about nebari David J. Bockman Bonsai 1 23-01-2004 04:43 AM
[IBC] Cuttings (was: [IBC] Air Layering Liquidambar Styraciflua) Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 29-06-2003 12:08 AM
[IBC] zelkova needs nebari help Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 12-05-2003 02:44 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 03:33 AM