Old 25-01-2003, 04:40 AM
Pardes

Default Longwood Gardens visit

Hi Folks--

I'm going to Longwood Gardens (Pennsylvania) this weekend to drool over
their bonsai collection and get some ideas.
After a house fire, I now have a beautiful new house and a wonderful
place to put my own collection. I haven't done any bonsai work since I left
sunny Florida twenty years ago but I'm so sick of the cold weather that I'm
cheering myself up with spring plans for which plants and shrubs to use.
I'm very rusty on the particulars but I'm a quick study. Any advice for
bonsais that will be kept outside most of the year would be appreciated.

Caroline

Old 25-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Iris Cohen

I'm going to Longwood Gardens (Pennsylvania) this weekend to drool over
their bonsai collection and get some ideas.
After a house fire, I now have a beautiful new house and a wonderful place to
put my own collection.
Any advice for bonsai (sic) that will be kept outside most of the year
would be appreciated.

You don't make it clear where you live. Are you in southeast Pennsylvania near
Longwood, or elsewhere? The Longwood area is Zone 7. The usual rule of thumb is
that for a containerized plant to be left outdoors all winter unprotected, you
need to subtract two zones, so you would be limited to plants that are hardy to
Zone 5 or lower.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885