GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trunk chop and repotting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/728-trunk-chop-repotting.html)

ss 29-01-2003 10:42 PM

Trunk chop and repotting

Hi All

Is it wise to do trunk chopping and repotting at the same time? Without
really thinking, I did some really drastic pruning on a buxus, and now I'm
not sure whether I should repot now or wait a season.

thanks in advance

ss
(Southern Hemisphere)

Reiner Goebel 30-01-2003 05:36 AM

Trunk chop and repotting

ss wrote:

Hi All

Is it wise to do trunk chopping and repotting at the same time? Without
really thinking, I did some really drastic pruning on a buxus, and now I'm
not sure whether I should repot now or wait a season.

I have no experience with Buxus, but would not hesitate doing both at
the same time with vigorous growers like apples and Japanese maples. In
fact, whenever a deciduous tree of any consequence is collected, the
procedure involves both a trunk chop and a repotting.

Reiner Goebel
Toronto, Canada
http://www.rgbonsai.com