Old 02-02-2003, 05:42 PM
Chiara Padrini

Default Thinking to the Shuttle crew

"Oh I Have Slipped
The Surly Bonds of Earth...
Put Out My Hand
And Touched the Face of God"
***************************************

John Gillespie Maggee, killed in action at the age of 19
was serving with the Royal Canadian Air Force,
some days before his death wrote:
"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the trembling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done 100 things you have not dreamed of
- wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.

Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept hills with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle flew;

And, while with silent, lifting mind, I trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God!"

--
Chiara

Old 02-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Helena Handbasket

That is lovely. Thanks for posting that.

--

We have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the
night.

"Oh I Have Slipped
The Surly Bonds of Earth...
Put Out My Hand