Old 03-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Per Arne Pedersen

Default [IBC] SV: [IBC] Fukien Tea tree

Hi friends,

I don't know if it is just me or... I find it difficult to grow a tree
in full cascade. I guess there are trees that are less qualified for
this style then others, - but in my case (a Fukien Tea tree) it seems to
be a real challenge. The point is that you want a nice foliage
downwards AND a nice nebari...

My tree is a tree, where one branch is used for the cascade. The major
trunk/tree is cut off just above the remaining branch (which has become
the major tree).
However, I have trained the tree, from where the pot has been placed
correctly and turned over to almost completely up-side down (keeping the
soil in the pot as Carl says) in several steps. I was now going to
repeat the process from "up-side" down to "correct" - BUT I did it in
ONE step.
I have not been repotting the tree since it was almost "up-side" down,
that is why I wonder if the mass of roots are located badly to this new
arrangement.

I will try to place some aluminium foil as you say, Carl (never thought
of indirect light in this case).

I'll do some research to see if Ehretia microphylla is "suited" for a
cascade styling also. Maybe I have done a mistake by styling it this
way?

Thanks to all the answers so far. Nevertheless, I will be more than
happy to read about others experience in styling a tree in full cascade!

Thanks,
..per arne

snip --------------------------------------------

Carl wrote:

I am sure you know that the Fukien Tea can be finicky when changing the
light, that is why I suggested the reflector idea.

I have trained a few cascades, (not Fukien Teas, though) and I used
some sort of screening over the soil which kept the soil from falling
out. I would place the pot on its side a couple days and then place it
in the up right position a couple days for its watering. This way you
shouldn't have to worry about the roots.

End of snip ---------------------------------------

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Registered User

[quote=Per Arne Pedersen;3744]Hi friends,

[...]

Hello!
How did your Fukien end up, still have it? If so, it would be nice to see a photo of it.
Old 17-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Registered User

offer you something special: www.cntradecity.com
offer you something special: