Old 01-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Jim Lewis

On 31 Jan 2005 at 9:14, wrote:

In a message dated 1/31/05 12:03:38 AM, Theo writes:
maybe you should not use florescente lighs mine are outside* on a balcony
all year* , and under a plastic* shelter* roof now

That's what I mean by location. What is the coldest it can possibly get
outdoors where you have the pomegranate? As far as I know, Punica is listed for
Zone 8. Add a zone for container growing and a dwarf cultivar, and the minimum
temperature this tree could stand is 20 F, -6 C. I got a little careless last
week & forgot to turn on the heater one night, & it went down to 15, -10 C in
the sunporch. I'm afraid it would have killed the pomegranate. In addition, if I
gave a pomegranate a normal Zone 5 dormant period, from October to April, I
doubt if it would ever bloom.
Iris

I'm layering a pomegranate, and started the layer last spring.
This tree has been out in the low 20s here (zone 8) and still
has green leaves. It is under a heavy canopy of trees.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-02-2005, 01:18 AM
Iris Cohen

This tree has been out in the low 20s here (zone 8) and still has green
leaves.

Not all varieties of pomegranate are deciduous. Some drop their leaves; some
don't. If I remember correctly, 'Nana' and 'Nejikan' are deciduous, while 'Nana
Compacta' is not. 'Nana Emperor' is sorta deciduous; keeps a few leaves here &
there.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen