GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Elm Taxonomy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/78086-%5Bibc%5D-elm-taxonomy.html)

[email protected] 01-07-2004 03:04 PM

[IBC] Elm Taxonomy

Ulmus anglica Druce, 1932, British Isles, English elm.
Ulmus campestris is a synonym of U. minor.
Ulmus carpinifolia is a synonym of U. minor.
Ulmus xelegantissima Horwood, 1933, U. minor x plotii, parts of England.
Ulmus glabra Hudson, England, 1762, wych elm.
Ulmus xhollandica Miller, 1754-1768, U. minor x glabra, Europe, Dutch elm.
Ulmus minor Miller, 1768, field elm, Eurasia, North Africa.
Ulmus plotii Druce, 1911, England, Plot's elm.
Ulmus procera is a synonym of U. minor.
'Jacqueline Hillier' is sold in this country as U. xelegantissima. The garden
where it was found is within the range of U. plotii. However, due to
taxonomic difficulties, the RHS places 'J. H.' within U. xhollandica.
Regarding pests: Those of you who raise Chinese elm have probably encountered
leaf gall mites. I have to spray for them occasionally. A grower in Holland
who has what appears to be Ulmus xhollandica photographed infestation with leaf
gall mites, so I would watch 'Jacqueline Hillier' for them. Orthenex is good
for both leaf gall mites & spider mites.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Craig Cowing 01-07-2004 03:05 PM

[IBC] Elm Taxonomy

wrote:

snip
'Jacqueline Hillier' is sold in this country as U. xelegantissima. The garden
where it was found is within the range of U. plotii. However, due to
taxonomic difficulties, the RHS places 'J. H.' within U. xhollandica.
snip
Iris

To which zone is 'Jaqueline Hillier' hardy?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37
Oct. 16, 11 AM. Be there!!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

John Dhom 01-07-2004 08:05 PM

[IBC] Elm Taxonomy

Hey Craig,

Brent has it listed as follows...

Ulmus x hollandica 'Jacqueline Hillier' (formerly listed as Ulmus x
elegantissima) S\M\-20ø\RG\Ls\B

Decoder ring found at http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/viewcat.htm. Oh
I'll just paste it here...

Culture Codes:
S=sun
PS=part sun
Sh=shade
M=moist or regular garden watering
D=dry or little summer water
W=wet or bog conditions
DegøF=minimum low temperature
RG=rock garden plant
Ls=landscape plant
B=bonsai plant.

Best,
/jhd

snip

****

****

[email protected] 01-07-2004 10:04 PM

[IBC] Elm Taxonomy

In a message dated 7/1/04 9:30:31 AM, writes:
To which zone is 'Jacqueline Hillier' hardy?

It is considered hardy in Zone 5, but if I had it in the ground outdoors, I
would use a rose cone. The branches are very brittle.
Iris

Craig Cowing 01-07-2004 10:05 PM

[IBC] Elm Taxonomy

writes:
To which zone is 'Jacqueline Hillier' hardy?

It is considered hardy in Zone 5, but if I had it in the ground outdoors, I
would use a rose cone. The branches are very brittle.
Iris

Thanks Iris. I haven't seen any in the nurseries I've visited in this area. I'll
keep an eye out.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37