Old 04-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Ben Griffin

Default [IBC] Moving to San Gabriel Mountains Outside LA from zone 6-7 NEW YORK CITY to zone 8-9

I don't know which trees will survive the climate change so i may
auction some of my collection off. Any information would be
appreciated i'll list my trees species below

Golden Larch
Golden Coast Juniper
Japanese Juniper
Crab Apple
Japanese Quince
Barbados Cherry
Japanese Maples 50 different varieties in training
Hawthorn
Japanese Prunus Mume Import
Trident Maples
American Elm
Cork Bark Elm
Siberian Elm
Hornbeam
Prunus Mume some american variety
Bourgainvillai
Fern's
Japanese Hill Cherries
Kingsville Boxwood
Azaleas

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Alan Walker

Ben: You're moving to an area which is rich in bonsai resources.
If I were you, I would sell off all but my most important bonsai
before moving. It will make your move much easier. You will be
able to replace with better material on the other end which is
already acclimated to L.A. And you will wind up with a much nicer
bonsai collection.
I've noticed that those people who are less sentimental
about their bonsai, feeling free to sell or give them away, tend
to develop their bonsai skills much better than those of us who
hoard every tree we've ever tended for a while. That's the way
most of the pros do it.
So, this is a perfect excuse to do yourself a great favor
in more ways than one. Donate a couple to your club and make
yourself extra welcome on those return visits! It's a win-win
proposition.
Alan Walker

Old 05-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Brent Walston

At 02:52 PM 7/4/04 -0400, Ben Griffin wrote:
I don't know which trees will survive the climate change so i may
auction some of my collection off. Any information would be
appreciated i'll list my trees species below

Ben

Most of these species should survive there with proper care and a suitable
growing area. Some will be more difficult than others. Larch and Azalea may
prove difficult. I live in N. CA, so I can't speak first hand, but I
imagine that dormancy and flower set will be the main issues. If you are
high enough in the mountain to get colder weather than LA, then you will be
ok. You will need a shadecloth enclosed area for best results and
protection from drying winds.

The bigger issue may be getting your plants into CA, which has strict
regulations regarding movement of plant material into the state. You need
to resolve this issue long before you move. I suggest you contact the
Agricultural Commissioner's office in the county to which you are moving,
and ask them what they will require. You may have to get a phytosanitary
certificate from NY, and you may have to bareroot them. So, you see, this
will take some planning.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Jim Lewis

Alan's advice is excellent; get rid of everything that your soul
will let you let go of, then start over.

Most of your plants will make the move, but . . .

These won't:

Golden Larch
Japanese Maples 50 different varieties in training

Japanese maples will be IFFY unless you are IN the mountains and
in a cooler part of zone 8 and can keep them in a more humid
environment.

Japanese Prunus Mume Import

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Ben Griffin

Who would i contact about bringing plant material into california, does
anyone have any numbers. Do they check all moving trucks coming in or
is it just my responsibility to check in my bonsais with them.

Ben

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Brent Walston

At 02:01 PM 7/5/04 -0400, Ben Griffin wrote:
Who would i contact about bringing plant material into california, does
anyone have any numbers. Do they check all moving trucks coming in or
is it just my responsibility to check in my bonsais with them.

Ben

You have to know what county your destination is in, but you can find
contact information for the county Agricultural Commissioner at this page:

http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/county/caclist.htm

Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Alan Walker

Ben: They used to check every vehicle entering the state. Not
just California, but Arizona, too. It was so strict, that if you
had any fruit for snacks, they had to be consumed or trashed at
the border before you could proceed. I understand that budget
cutbacks have just about eliminated the checkpoints, but it's
still risky to try to bring things in illegally without proper
phytosanitary certification.
Check the site Brent suggested.
Alan Walker

Old 05-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Who would i contact about bringing plant material into
california, does
anyone have any numbers. Do they check all moving trucks

coming in or
is it just my responsibility to check in my bonsais with them.

Last time I drove through, they were waving automobiles
through -- except, I assume, for spot checks, but stopping
enclosed trucks and trailers. It would be MUCH better to give
your trees a good home in New York than to dump them at the side
of the road in the California desert -- which is what happens to
things they don't let in.