Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 AM
google4news

Default Ilex vomitoria "Schilling's dwarf" Yaupon holly; miniature hedge q's

Hello, I purchased eight Ilex vomitoria "Schilling's dwarf" Yaupon
holly plants to use as a miniature hedge underneath my oak trees. I
live in the hot, tropical part of Florida.

When I got home, I noticed the tag said "full sun," something I did
not notice while in the store.

First, has anyone here had any luck growing Schilling's Yaupon holly
in partial or complete shade? I have read that it "grows best in full
sun," but where I live, we have plants that say they take "full sun,"
but actually grow better in partial shade because the sun is very
intense here.

Second, would this be a hard plant to keep trimmed to approximately
one foot high, one foot wide, and three feet long? I am not an expert
hedger/trimmer, so I have a lot to learn. (Two shapes I have
considered: (a) a rounded one-foot-by-one-foot; (b) a one-foot-high by
one-foot-high by three-foot-long oval)

Third, I am wondering if planting this so closely to my live oak trees
(the dwarf holly will be a hedge encircling the oaks) will damage or
encroach on the oaks. I have read that this type of holly has a
hardy, widespread root system.

Fourth, is the plant easily contained within a specified growing area?
I would like to easily keep it contained with clippers. If it tends
to creep and spread underground and slowly take over my lawn, I
wouldn't be too happy with it. (I don't want to end up fighting to
eradicate it from my lawn.)

Instructions are to plant the plants four feet apart. If I want to
keep them at a dwarf size of one-foot-wide by one-foot-high, what
happens if I plant them closer together; say, two feet apart?

If there are better choices for a miniature hedge underneath my oaks,
I would be open to suggestions. I have heard of a type of Japanese
boxwood with a serrated, very tiny leaf, but do not know the species
or if it even exists.

Thanks in advance to anyone for advice!

Yaupon Holly (and other holly questions) Susan Hogarth North Carolina 5 11-01-2005 05:16 PM
[IBC] Ilex vomitoria "Schilling's dwarf" Yaupon holly; miniature hedge q's Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 17-07-2004 12:06 AM
Trimming Yaupon Holly Datura Gardening 1 11-07-2003 02:32 PM
[IBC] Mail order source for Schilling's holly?? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 05-02-2003 02:17 PM
Mail order source for Schilling's holly?? SHO2n Bonsai 0 05-02-2003 04:00 AM