GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] summer dig opportunity (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/78924-re-%5Bibc%5D-summer-dig-opportunity.html)

Justin Diaz 14-07-2004 12:08 PM

[IBC] summer dig opportunity

Along the same lines of this original post... Friends like to give me
half-dead or near-rootless trees that they've dug up in thier yards in an
attempt to "bonsai" them, as they put it. My latest is a Crape Myrtle.
It's about 2.5' tall, but has been pruned, albeit carelessly, and is
therefore pretty stout (about 1.5" trunk). 5 fat roots, each about 1/4"
thick and about 6 inches long, and a small handfull of oddly spaced feeder
roots.

Anybody have experience with crape myrtles?

Thanks everyone,

Justin

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 14-07-2004 12:08 PM

[IBC] summer dig opportunity

In a message dated 7/13/2004 3:35:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Anybody have experience with crape myrtles?

I have some mostly in the ground but a few in pots. Heavy pruning is
OK. I would put them in the largest pots you have available, cut back the tops
severely, keep the plants in semi shade for the remainder of the summer, be
careful not to overwater.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislik of Whitefish, Montana, Chase Rosade of New Hope,
PA, and Ben Oki of California.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++