GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Shaping and Pruning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/79974-re-%5Bibc%5D-shaping-pruning.html)

[email protected] 22-07-2004 07:20 PM

[IBC] Shaping and Pruning

This is why your best source of information is watching the tree and seeing
how it grows or not grows.

I should live so long. It's nice to have reliable information ahead of time.
Everybody told me Betula 'Trost's Dwarf' is very slow. Nobody warned me that
if I wired the trunk in May, it would be cutting in by July.

Those with surviving trees have done just that. * Then they document what
they have done as something that works. * The next person may have equally
good results with a totally opposing method.

I doubt it. The totally opposing method may be due to difference in climate,
variety, or other factors that are never mentioned. I enjoyed Walter Pall's
recent article about Ulmus minor (the correct name), but it only bore out
everything I had already discovered about 'Jacqueline Hillier.' At least I know that
what I am doing with it is on the right track.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Kitsune Miko 22-07-2004 07:23 PM

[IBC] Shaping and Pruning

wrote:In a message dated 7/21/04 11:40:53 PM, writes:
This is why your best source of information is watching the tree and seeing how it grows or not grows.

I should live so long. It's nice to have reliable information ahead of time. Everybody told me Betula 'Trost's Dwarf' is very slow. Nobody warned me that if I wired the trunk in May, it would be cutting in by July.

Timing, region, climate?

Those with surviving trees have done just that. Then they document what they have done as something that works. The next person may have equally good results with a totally opposing method.

I doubt it. The totally opposing method may be due to difference in climate, variety, or other factors that are never mentioned. I enjoyed Walter Pall's recent article about Ulmus minor (the correct name), but it only bore out everything I had already dis
covered about 'Jacqueline Hillier.' At least I know that what I am doing with it is on the right track.
Iris

Exactally, this is why you can't always depend only on books, unless the book changes methods per zone or something like that.

Kitsune Miko

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott