Old 26-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] sudden increase of leaf loss of our fukien tree

Regarding the soil. We bought it in nearby garden shop as
bonsai soil.
The truth is it does not look like the rest of the soil in the

pot. It
does resemble (on touch, look) the layer that was there before,

that
is the clay pieces... As I wrote elsewhere in this thread, we

draw our
information on the book "Simon & Schuster's Guide to Bonsai".

Their
ideal mixture for *repotting* is 60% humus-rich soil, 10% peat

and 30%
of coarse sand. Since we removed about an inch of the top

layer, we
thought we'd replace it by the mixture above but its

composition is
quite different. I'm getting a bit confused here...

Oh, aaargh! ONE of the problem with bonsai books is that they're
written everywhere and translated into everything, and that does
lead to confusion.

S&SGtB was written in Italy and later translated into English --
possibly by someone who has never grown (or maybe even seen) a
bonsai. Heaven only knows what the original text said, but the
translator gave you 70% humus -- which isn't a very good idea,
since humus is rotting leaves, worm casing, etc. -- ORGANIC --
stuff, which rots and gets mushier and mushier. The peat also is
organic and comes in MANY forms (most of them not suited for
bonsai soil in any great amount) and "coarse" sand varies
according to one's definition of "coarse" (of course). I have
the book, but haven't paid attention to the soil bit since I got
it well after I'd killed my share of trees for this or that
stupid reason.

So. Your tree should be planted in the soil you bought as
"bonsai soil," assuming it is at least 50 percent baked clay and
30 percent pine bark and 20 percent coarse sand (or, 70-30
clay-sand or clay-bark) with NO mushy humus.

I don't remember where you live, but there are bonsai clubs in
surprising locations. Goto www.absbonsai.org or to
www.bonsai-bci.com and find their pages that list clubs in N.
America. There's probably one near you.

Failing that, send Carl Rosner an e-mail (he answered one of your
earlier questions and have him walk you though the art of
transplanting a Fukien tea into good bonsai soil. Or, seeing as
how that garden shop handles something called bonsai soil maybe
that's an indication somewhere there knows something about
bonsai?????????????

Go also to www.internebonsaiclub.org, click on the "knowledge
base" and read some of the articles there -- especially the one
about soils.

As far as news readers go, I don't do newsgroups too often (I
read these messages via the linked e-mail list) but do a google
search for free and newsgroups and see what pops up.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Alan Walker

Jim: No need to insult the author out of ignorance. The Simon &
Schuster's Guide to Bonsai (as well as the identical The
MacDonald Encyclopedia of Bonsai) was authored by the eminent
Italian bonsai artist, Gianfranco Georgi. Gianfranco was a major
player in bonsai a couple of decades ago. He also served a few
terms on the Board of Directors of BCI. I last saw him at the
BCI convention in Orlando in 1993.
I have no idea where he is currently or how he is doing,
but please do not assume the author is ignorant of bonsai. As you
well know, it is not always the author's fault when a book is
published with bad photos, etc. Sometimes they have control, but
often they do not.
Alan Walker

Old 26-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Fukien Tea's LOVE being outside - just not in direct sunlight. Mine are currently located where they have slightly filtered morning to just after noon sun and are absolutely thriving after barely making it through the extra long winter. Inside, they are especially prone to scale - see if the "black spots" will scrape off with your finger nail. I have twice now experienced a significant loss of leaves a couple of weeks after using the soap - oil - alcohol solution, so that MAY be it. I'm pretty sure Craig uses the solution on nearly everything and hasn't noticed any detrimental effects - so it may be just me. The addition of light(s) will help - but if at all possible, try to get it outside during the summer.

Old 26-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

I'll second the suggestion of purchasing a really good bonsai book OR pot, soil & plant (at a nursery or garden center). It is much more satisfying to take a nursery tree and turn it into a "bonsai" on your own. Especially, since you can probably do just as good a job as anything you are likely to get for a reasonable price on e-Bay. If you REALLY want one already done, I'll second the recommendation to visit Mr. Valvanis' location in Rochester. You'll pay a little more, but you'll get good material. If you have no place to put plants outside, you are pretty limited in what will do well. Being a novice myself, I would recommend: Serrisa (although lots of folks would disagree with that one!) or some variety of Ficus (I personally like Green Island, but an authority on bonsai that lives in this same area swears by Nerifolia for indoors in the NE). I think Billy has sufficiently explained the requirements for light, air movement and humidity.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 26-07-2004, 09:13 PM
David Soukal

Thank you! Since you all recommend taking the plant outside, I'll do
it The thing is that we live in a small appartment building so the
only spot I can put the tree on is the outside stairs that lead to our
appartment (we live in the second floor of an older wooden house).

I thought the plant must have liked being outside since it's very dark
inside. (Our Discover PhD Plat Doctor ;] displays an error reading
which is a symptom of too little light.) It must be true especially
now when we haven't seen sun but for a few hours a day for almost two
weeks.

Thanks to the help of all of you guys, the plant seems to be doing
very well now. We take extra care of making sure it is not overwatered
and we use the extra light for most of the day.

Thanks again,

David (& Eva)

Old 26-07-2004, 09:17 PM
David Soukal

Thanks for the tip. We did find this place on the Internet but,
unfortunatelly, they are out of bonsai now. We could only order a
plant for the next year.

It would be nice trip though! I'll definitelly go there.

Thanks!

David

(Alan Walker) wrote in message news:000201c472b3$c09ddc60$6101a8c0@Alan...
If you live in upstate NY, then I recommend that you try to visit
Bill Valavanis' International Bonsai Arboretum in Rochester
suburb, West Henrietta. You can get directions and other
information at his web site:
http://www.internationalbonsai.com/index.html
Alan Walker

Old 26-07-2004, 09:39 PM
David Soukal

Hello Jim,

thanks for the tip. As I wrote elsewhere in this thread the whole soil
business is unfortunate. I'm very glad that you told me the mixture is
not good. I'm so relieved. I would have bought it and repotted the
tree into it!

Next time, I'll be extra careful. I already ordered a bunch of books
on bonsai that were recommened on the International Bonsai Club
website, so I hope nothing like that will happen again.

Thank you also for helping me find the Bonsai clubs. I'll carefully
look around. The people from the garden shop my wife bought the Fukien
in told me that they get their plants on-line. We have some "expert"
on bonsai who takes care of them. I'll talk to him today.

Thank you again!

David

Old 26-07-2004, 10:02 PM
David Soukal

Hello,

I'm sorry for misleading you with the source of the "draft-proneness"
of the plant (sorry for my English, we've been in the US only for a
few years . We tried to find as much information as possible on the
Internet. Sometimes we got contradictory recommendations. What we
thought we got clearly was the idea that the tree would suffer being
exposed to draft so we did everything to avoid this.

Add to it the information from the Simon's book about the sensitivity
to the temperature changes and you'll understand why our tree is kept
locked in our home.

We'll try to take the plant outside as much as we can. The truth is
though, that we live in an appartment building so I don't feel
confortable leaving the plant outside where it could be
(inadvertently) harmed. So, the only thing we could do is to leave it
on our outside stairs... This is not particularly serene and pretty
place, but I guess it's still better for the plant so we'll do it.

Do you think a rainy and cloudy weather is better for the plant than
being inside where it's currently warmer than outside? We live in the
NY and we've been having very inclement season.

Thank you for your tips.

David

ps. The thing with the soil is rather unpleasant. Since, we're not
experts we would have easily repotted the tree in the 60% humus, 20%
peat, 20% sand composition...

(Alan Walker) wrote in message news:000001c472aa$18fd0b60$6101a8c0@Alan...
David: OK, I suspected the quote might be inexact. The problem
is that there is a big difference between recommending a tree or
plant for indoor growing and a need to be grown indoors. When we
think about it, as common sense will tell us, there is no such
thing as a truly "indoor" plant. Growing plants indoors is man's
invention. All plants have originated and grown outdoors.
The problem is that we want to grow plants which are not
indigenous to our area. That includes tropical plants, such as
your Fukian Tea tree. Survival in unnatural climates, such as
tropicals in temperate areas or any plant indoors, requires more
than basic horticultural skills as a rule.
Some people cannot grow things outdoors, because they
have no access to any outdoor area at all or else the outdoor
area they do have is not secure enough to grow. Those people
will just have to commit to learn the advanced horticultural
skills needed to make the best of their situation. Fortunately,
that isn't all that hard to do.
I'm not going to try to discuss all the horticultural
variables involved in indoor growing. So, the bottom line is
that your Fukian Tea will do better outdoors when it is
sufficiently warm in your growing area. If you are in the
northern hemisphere below the Arctic Circle, you can grow it
outdoors now, and it will be better for your tree, because it
will have better light, humidity and air circulation than you can
provide indoors. Further, the idea that your Fukian Tea should
not be exposed to drafts is exactly backwards. It needs good air
circulation to reduce risk of fungus and other pest problems.
Alan Walker