Old 22-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] sudden increase of leaf loss of our fukien tree

What did you use to "cure" the mealy bug problem?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 22-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Dad

Fukien tea does tend to drop leaves occasionally. I wouldn't worry about
it, unless two other possibilities occur:
1. It has not been transplated in the past two years.
2. It is kept indoors.
Although it is tropical, it should be kept outdoors all summer.
Marty

Old 25-07-2004, 03:43 PM
David Soukal

Hello,

we didn't use any chemicals bought it store. Somebody from this group
has recommened us to use a solution consisting of distilled water, a
spoon of cooking oil and soap withouth frangance. Finally before
spraying, we were recommended to add a spoon of alcohol, which we did.

We tried this "potion" on a few leaves first and since it didn't seem
to do any harm, after a few day, we covered the soil and spray the
whole foliage. We repeated that two times in week intervals.

The tree seemed to prosper and we haven't seen any bugs since.

Also, please, see me reply to the other answer above. We might have
kept the plant overwatered for several hours by wrong choice of the
soil

Thanks for any advice. I love the tree, I hope that it will survive...

David

Old 25-07-2004, 04:03 PM
David Soukal

Hello,

we haven't repotted the tree yet. But we do keep it indoors. This is
our first bonsai and the book we bought said that it should be kept
inside, since it is, supposedly, sensitive to draft. Also, we don't
have garden, since we live in an appartment...

We could buy some extra light and / or open the windows more.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that we removed about a half inch
of the soil from the top and replaced it with another one. The reason
why we did that was that the soil was full of rotting leaves and
flowers... Only later, we found out that the soil we purchased doesn't
probably have the right composition. It was about 70% of fired clay
and only about 25% of pine soil. I noticed that this layer probably
prevents the rest of the soil from breathing so it's possible the we
kept that plant overwatered for a several hours.. Could that be the
reason?

For now, the plant seems to be doing OK. Its berries are even bigger
and tend to ripe to light red color. The berries we used to see drier
very fast...

I noticed several black spots on a few bigger leaves. It can only be
seen from under, so I hope it's not the spiders or other parasites

Thanks for your help!

David

Old 25-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Alan Walker

David: To which book are you referring? Who is the author?
Alan Walker

Old 25-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Alan Walker

Old 25-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Carl Rosner

David:
When I have my Fukien Tea indoors, I place them on a propagation mat which gives the roots a little heat...
It is very important to have a fan blowing on your tree, which will keep the pest popuilation down.
I have my fluorecents on for 18 hours.
Also, try to prune the leaves, when you see them over lapping each other. That will keep the fungus from developing.
I would certainly use a wooden skewer in the soil to know when to water. Email me, and I will send you the details on the Persiano Pick.

Best of luck,

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

http://rosner.becanz.net
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 26-07-2004, 01:00 AM
David Soukal

Hello,

we were consulting several sources on the internet. Also the book
Simon & Schuster's Guide to Bonsain, recommends the tree for indoors.
They don't explicitely mention the draft, only temperature changes.

Do you think, we should keep the tree outside?

David