Old 03-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] oiling mica pots

I think northern squirrels must be much better behaved than
southern squirrels. I have several huge oaks and pecan trees.
Lots of fat squirrels, but they still like to mess with my bonsai
from time to time, especially right before a show!
Alan Walker

From: "Jim Lewis"
Sounds like a good idea, but most of my mica pots have squirrel
tooth on their rims by the end of their first year of use. It
would take more than a "light" sanding to get rid of them.
Jim Lewis
dalecochoy wrote:
Ditto here Jim, that is one of the problems with using mica
"training pots" as a less expensive alternate to good ceramic,
but it's a lost savings when the squirrels ruin the pots!! You'd
think with 3 dogs and 3 cats I'd NEVER see a squirrel !!!!
I keep a rag and bottle of baby oil or plain ( unscented)
mineral oil at my
work station. Use it on every pot when done working. Years ago
when I was out of mineral oil I used cooking oil for a while but
found the rags got rancid smelling quickly. Never did the
sanding. That's just TOO MUCH work for a training pot! :)
Dale
Old 03-08-2004, 05:16 AM
Roger Snipes

I have used Armorall on ceramic pots, both glazed and unglazed, instead of
oil in the past. It does work well to clean the pot up, and it looks pretty
much the same as if it were oiled. The drawback that I noticed is that in
the weeks and months subsequent to using Armorall on the pots they tended to
become extremely water-spotted -- white mineral type water spots all over
the surface. These were pots that hadn't had a spotting problem previous to
the Armorall application.

The pots I used the Armorall on ended up looking pretty bad, and the only
way to get rid of the water spots was to either reapply Armorall, which
would start the cycle all over again, or apply oil, which seems to last
longer and doesn't cause more water spotting.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

It's my understanding that mica pots are made of a material quite close in
composition to that of modern automobile bumpers, so perhaps a substance
more like Armorall or other hard plastic protectant would work as well.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Craig Cowing

Alan Walker wrote:

I think northern squirrels must be much better behaved than
southern squirrels. I have several huge oaks and pecan trees.
Lots of fat squirrels, but they still like to mess with my bonsai
from time to time, especially right before a show!
Alan Walker

You southern guys must be living in the wrong part of the country with the wrong
species of oak. Oaks I have here are white oak (quercus alba), northern red oak
(quercus rubra), chestnut oak (quercus prinus)--a really big one down the street.
Real estate prices are skyrocketing, so come on up!

Could it be the species of squirrel too? Up here you see almost exclusively what
we call the gray squirrel with the occasional flying squirrel. I don't know if
it's true, but I seem to remember that down south the red squirrel is more
prevalent, and for some reason I recall that they're more mischievous than the gray
squirrel. I don't know what to say about Dale's situation, though. He's in the
midwest. I'm in the midwest too, by the way--the midwest starts on the west bank
of the Hudson.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 03-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Alan Walker

Wake up, Craig! It's the 21st century. The Midwest began at the
Hudson back in the 18th century when they thought that the west
coast was the banks of the Mississippi River and "Northwestern"
University was placed in Evanston, IL. ;-)
Alan Walker

Old 03-08-2004, 03:48 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] oiling mica pots, now Squirrels

Could it be the species of squirrel too? Up here you see almost

exclusively what
we call the gray squirrel with the occasional flying squirrel.

I don't know what to say about Dale's situation, though. He's in the
midwest. I'm in the midwest too,
Craig Cowing
NY

Craig,
I've seen a couple flying squirrels over the years also. A couple years ago
I saw one with a little leather flyers hat and gogles. He was walking in
the woods with a moose!!

I thought it strange!
Dale

Old 03-08-2004, 03:48 PM
dalecochoy

Old 03-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Craig Cowing

Alan Walker wrote:

Wake up, Craig! It's the 21st century. The Midwest began at the
Hudson back in the 18th century when they thought that the west
coast was the banks of the Mississippi River and "Northwestern"
University was placed in Evanston, IL. ;-)

Alan Walker

You mean there's something beyond the Missisippi? I guess I'll find that out when
we fly to Arizona for the second leg of our honeymoon. It'll be strange with the
ocean on the left instead of the right, where it should be! ;0]
Craig Cowing
NY
zone 5b/6a sunset 37