Old 03-08-2004, 08:03 AM
Luke Tulkas

Default composted pine bark

"Les linfoot" wrote in message
If it was fatal for
Socrates, is hemlock OK for my cryptomeria?

It's not the same hemlock. Not even close. The hemlock Socrates drank was
Conium maculatum (http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/conium.html ). "Your"
hemlock is a tree of genus Tsuga
(http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conifers/pi/ts/ ). I think it's bark would
be OK for your cryptomeria.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Iris Cohen

I cannot find pine bark locally but have purchased something called orchid
bark which, after a few phone calls to the company that bags it and ships it to
the local garden centres, I have been informed is all hemlock. If it was fatal
for Socrates, is hemlock OK for my cryptomeria?

Socrates' poison hemlock was an entirely different plant, a member of the
Apiaceae. Hemlock bark is from Tsuga canadensis, Canadian hemlock (or another
member of the same genus), a conifer. In this country we use Douglas fir bark,
a byproduct of the plywood industry. If it is safe for orchid roots, it is safe
for bonsai. However, how fine is it ground? I have found that the finest fir
bark available is only suitable for conifer mix. I gather that the finely
ground pine bark necessary for regular mix is only available in Florida.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Snake bark maple - dead bark kay United Kingdom 8 24-05-2010 09:32 AM
[IBC] composted pine bark Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 7 05-08-2004 09:30 PM
composted pine bark Les linfoot Bonsai 6 05-08-2004 09:30 PM
What is composted bark Carol Russell United Kingdom 2 12-12-2002 09:06 PM
Grass cuttings composted. Alan Holmes United Kingdom 0 29-09-2002 07:17 PM