GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   beginner needs help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/81345-beginner-needs-help.html)

AJCarroll1019 08-08-2004 10:34 PM

beginner needs help

Hello.I am a beginner to bonsai and have been styling trees like boxwood and
juniper,just basic beginner material.I am very interested in doing a banyan
style ficus though.but,i have no idea how to get started.i know that it must be
kept in humid conditions for the arial roots to form and i think i read
something about using sphagnum moss.If anyone could give me more details and
instructions,it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Jay Sinclair 08-08-2004 11:52 PM

[IBC] beginner needs help

AJCarroll1019 wrote:

Hello.I am a beginner to bonsai and have been styling trees like boxwood and
juniper,just basic beginner material.I am very interested in doing a banyan
style ficus though.but,i have no idea how to get started.i know that it must be
kept in humid conditions for the arial roots to form and i think i read
something about using sphagnum moss.If anyone could give me more details and
instructions,it would be greatly appreciated.

A good place to start is Jerry Meislik's page:

http://bonsaihunk.8m.com/

After you've digested that, buy his book.

Jay

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 09-08-2004 01:14 AM

[IBC] beginner needs help

In a message dated 8/8/2004 7:03:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

A good place to start is Jerry Meislik's page:

http://bonsaihunk.8m.com/

After you've digested that, buy his book.

I agree with Jay. I live in Florida and grow a lot of Ficus. I have the
book.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Andrew G 10-08-2004 05:51 AM

beginner needs help

"AJCarroll1019" wrote in message
Hello.I am a beginner to bonsai and have been styling trees like boxwood

and
juniper,just basic beginner material.I am very interested in doing a

banyan
style ficus though.but,i have no idea how to get started.i know that it

must be
kept in humid conditions for the arial roots to form and i think i read
something about using sphagnum moss.If anyone could give me more details

and
instructions,it would be greatly appreciated.

Generally with Ficus you let them dry out between waterings to help fatten
the trunk, as it will store water in it. Don't get me wrong, they need
water, but can get to very dry, then soak it, then allow drying again, and
so on.
To keep it humid around the plant get a tray and fill with very coarse
gravel, pieces about the size of your thumb. Fill the tray with water, then
sit the potted ficus on the gravel, so water is below it, but bottom of pot,
or drain holes are not in water. Keep water topped up, and never water plant
with water that is amongst gravel. Toss it and fill up with new water .

Good luck
Thanks,
Aaron