GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Japanese Maple in the northeast (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/82365-re-%5Bibc%5D-japanese-maple-northeast.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 25-08-2004 02:03 AM

[IBC] Japanese Maple in the northeast

I don't normally reply yo invalid e mails but:

1. If it is a young seedling with tender top and root growth, I would
let it freeze the first year.

2. If you live too close to any coast, the Japanese Maple will not
like the salt air.

In a message dated 8/24/2004 8:27:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
LID writes:

Is it safe to leave a small Japanese Maple outside in the winter? It's
a new tree grown from a seedling this past spring/summer and I'm
hesitant to leave it out all winter. I live on the CT coast. Any advice?

Sunshyn

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Harry L Abel 26-08-2004 05:19 PM

In a message dated 8/26/2004 9:03:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I can't advise as to which are or are not cold hardy

i sell a.palmatum at conventions. i have gotten back reports from many
repeat offenders. a.p. are very sensitive to wind and to salt, and alkaline
conditions.
i have clients who grow them in buffalo, boston, madison, wi. milwaukee,
southern michigan, maine.
microclimates play an important part.
with your seedling, if it's in a container, protect it, new roots freeze.
all of my grafting buddies in nj protect the new roots for the 1st winter.
i have thousands of seedlings every year here at my place. we mow them.
not many come back the 2nd year.
harry

Harry Abel/Shinkigen...
a New Beginning
we do not create the beauty, we only point out the beauty
God has created.
770-434-9955 h 678-462-7080 cell
www. shinkigen.com

Steven Wachs 26-08-2004 05:46 PM

I collect Japanese Maples. They are mostly Grafts. and are wintered in a
greenhouse. My worst time of the year with maples is the spring, at the point
they are brought outside . There is often leaf damage caused by the wind. I try
to take plants out around mother's day. I couldn't leave in the greenhouse
any longer. I also place trees in the yard according to their sensitivity to
strong sun. I try to protect certain Dissectums and variegated varieties . I
have approximately 40- 50 varieties. Mostly Acer Palmatums and Japonicas
SteveW
LI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Steve wachs 26-08-2004 11:46 PM

Acer Palmatum is the more familiar "japanese" Maples. However Acer japonica are also japanese Maples

--
SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++