Old 11-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Vicky Estrella

Default [IBC] Thickening trunk base on Brazilian Raintree

Has anyone had success in thickening the base on Brazilian Raintrees? I think
they are lovely trees, but have never seen one with a flared base. Thanks,
Vicky

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Carl Rosner

I guess it matters as to where you live. If it could go in the ground year round, you might have better luck, however, my Rain trees seem to be naturally narrow front to back and wider left to right.

Carl L. Rosner

Vicky Estrella wrote:
Has anyone had success in thickening the base on Brazilian Raintrees? I think
they are lovely trees, but have never seen one with a flared base. Thanks,
Vicky

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 17-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Anil Kaushik

Vicky

My pleasure! Thank you. Regarding ficus well in India I think ninety percent Bonsais are being trained are from this genus. It is true that putting a ficus in a shallow container induces flare, but the growth retards. Again the best course will be to grow it in a big container or in the ground after cutting the downwards growing roots especially the tap root, and placing a disc under it. This forces the roots to grow sideward and roots emanate from all sides causing swelling at the point of origin which becomes buttress or flare over a period of time.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)