GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] increase leaf size (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/83402-re-%5Bibc%5D-increase-leaf-size.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 08-09-2004 11:15 AM

In a message dated 9/6/2004 5:12:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

On a similar note I have another Acer that I have been trying to reduce the
leaf size for years. Its a standard Acer, pretty healthy. Every year I
defoliate, every year they come back as big as ever!

I am not sure what a "standard Acer" is since there are many varieties of
Maple and a number of "Japanese" Maples.
But, try this, instead of defoliating, do a lot of tip pruning. Allow only
the first leaves to emerge and pinch the growing tip. The leaves below the pinch
may stop growing while the plant develops a new growing point. This requires
a lot of attention, almost daily.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 08-09-2004 01:06 PM

[IBC] increase leaf size

writes:

On a similar note I have another Acer that I have been trying to reduce the
leaf size for years. Its a standard Acer, pretty healthy. Every year I
defoliate, every year they come back as big as ever!

I am not sure what a "standard Acer" is since there are many varieties of
Maple and a number of "Japanese" Maples.
But, try this, instead of defoliating, do a lot of tip pruning. Allow only
the first leaves to emerge and pinch the growing tip. The leaves below the pinch
may stop growing while the plant develops a new growing point. This requires
a lot of attention, almost daily.

Another option is to carefully remove the buds from the tips of
branches in mid winter, forcing the tree to use the secondary
(smaller) bud that grows behind these. (This also helps develop
ramification).

But it _would_ be nice to know what maple we're talking about.
;-)

Jim Lewis -
- This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson