GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Microsoft vulnerability - not Bonsai but IMPORTANT (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/83659-microsoft-vulnerability-not-bonsai-but-important.html)

Denise Hurd 16-09-2004 03:55 AM

Microsoft vulnerability - not Bonsai but IMPORTANT

Good evening all,

Microsoft announced yesterday that a flaw has been found that could
potentially exploit jpegs, (all our wonderful tree pictures). So there will
be a round of new viruses developed just to test the theory and the update
practices of the rest of us.

It really won't be "news - worthy" until after someone releases something
damaging.

The story line can be found he

http://blogs.zdnet.com/index.php?p=484

The information to update your computer can be found he

http://www.microsoft.com/security/bu...0409_jpeg.mspx

If this follows true to form, we should start seeing viruses in the next
week or so exploiting this flaw.

They could come in the form of html based email, just browsing the web, word
documents etc. Because it effects "jpeg's" (pictures/graphics) it could come
from anywhere and could activate upon just viewing the infected jpeg.

When you apply the updates follow the instructions carefully, reboot and
check the update site(s) again to make sure you've received them all.
aka: "Rinse and Repeat"

If you have not updated your office (word, excel, etc.) - it will take
several rinses.

Also to note - if you have versions of office prior to 2000, i.e. office 97
you will be unable to patch those systems as it is no longer supported.

--
Denise Hurd a.k.a. the Bride
"Spreading the word and that's it."