GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New to bonsai (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/83890-new-bonsai.html)

Anthony Toft 15-09-2004 12:30 AM

New to bonsai

I had posted a message on the IBC site and then read that this was the
place to be :)

Here is the message, I would appreciate any and all responses, I'd really
like to take up the art as something to do when I find some spare time

Newbie here, so please forgive my lack of education, but...

Yesterday we bought a bonsai tree from costco here in Orlando, after
reading about it (I was trying to find out how to make cuttings for my
office) it would appear that we got a "Mallsai" complete with stuck on
stones.

Having discovered this I have axed the 'trees in the office' plan (at
least with this Juniper) and would instead like to make little trees for
outside the house we move into within the next couple of months (I figure
bonsai is less likely to cause damage during a hurricane ). In the mean
time I need to keep it alive, can I just put it outside in the existing
pot? Should I look into making cuttings at this time? If so can I put them
in regular plant pots for the time being? My mother-in-law is a ceramics
instructor so I will (hopefully) have a fairly ready supply of pots when I
go visit her.

Also in furtherence to the 'office trees' project, I think a weeping fig
would survive, does anyone know where in central florida I could get one
at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Anthony