Old 24-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Kitsune Miko

--- Iris Cohen wrote:

I was wondering if someone can recommend an
indoor bonsai tree that could
be placed in a bathroom -

So the poor guy asks a perfectly serious question,
and everyone makes fun of
him.

OK so there are folks who can grow bonsai in their
bathrooms. So perhaps I was a bit harsh, I am, after
all, a trickster, and, as such, tricking folks into
seeing more than the normally see is my job.

In Japan, Kitsune are both real and mythological
foxes. In the mythological sense they supposedly
shapeshift between fox and human to do their trickery.
No, it is not my real name, it is a pen name.

I was having a bad day and this guy hit a button. I
came home, beheaded a zelkova and now feel much
better.

My bathroom is not heated in winter so it does get hot
and cold. Not enough to go down to freezing. There
is also soap scum on the window in the shower. So not
all bathrooms are equal.

His request may have been sincere, but I don't feel he
realized the magnitude of his request.

Kitsune Miko

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Luke Tulkas

"Kitsune Miko" wrote in message
o.com...
Robert,

What you say is true, but this is not the application
the requestor had in mind. He wants a permanet tree
in his bathroom. He doesn't seem to care that the
environment is not suitable to growing bonsai.

Artificial lighting, if the spectrum is suitable and installation properly
done, can totally replace sunlight, and permanent humidity (steam) is heaven
for most tropicals. I guess some ficus would thrive in such a bathroom. I
don't know about red leaves/fruit, though.

Old 24-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Jim Lewis

On 24 Sep 2004 at 2:48, Iris Cohen wrote:

I was wondering if someone can recommend an indoor bonsai tree that could
be placed in a bathroom - I shower everyday, so there's steam every morning,
and there is a small meshed window, that faces south.
So there's not much sunlight, and I might have to put in some artificial

lighting. Ideally, it should have some red leaves/fruit -

So the poor guy asks a perfectly serious question, and everyone makes fun of
him.

Um . . . well, a bathroom isn't somewhere you go to for leisure
activities -- and mine, at least, have NO windows.

To each his or her own, I suppose.

And I still say that best, most trouble-free, response for one
who isn't a devoted grower of bonsai is a plastic "Ming" tree.
It simply is NOT a suitable environment for a tree for anyone
who isn't an "expert."

Jim Lewis - Tallahassee, FL - - "IF YOU'VE
SEEN ONE REDWOOD TREE, YOU'VE SEEN THEM ALL."
- Forestry expert, Ronald Reagan

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Craig Cowing

Iris Cohen wrote:

snip
So the poor guy asks a perfectly serious question, and everyone makes fun of
him.
There are tropical bonsai you can use. However, I suggest you get several trees
and rotate them between the bathroom and a growing area, so they will be kept
healthy. A flowering and fruiting bonsai will need more light, as you have
surmised. They will need to be kept outdoors all summer, but you can rotate
them in your bathroom, say a week at a time.
First thing you need to do is get one or more books. Start with something like
the Sunset Bonsai book. If there is a bonsai club anywhere near you, join it.
Suggested species:
Pomegranate (persimmon-red flowers & fruit).
Serissa (white flowers)
Ficus (probably no fruit, but the easiest)

However, if you just want a finished bonsai and you are not interested in
growing or caring for it, you can rent them.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

How about a schefflera? It sounds like it would be a good environment to grow
aerial roots, and it doesn't demand high light.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Luke Tulkas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message

I was wondering if someone can recommend an indoor bonsai tree

that could
be placed in a bathroom - I shower everyday, so there's steam every

morning,
and there is a small meshed window, that faces south.
So there's not much sunlight, and I might have to put in some

artificial
lighting. Ideally, it should have some red leaves/fruit -

So the poor guy asks a perfectly serious question, and everyone makes

fun of
him.

Um . . . well, a bathroom isn't somewhere you go to for leisure
activities

Maybe you're confusing bathroom (bathtubs, showers, jacuzzies, etc.) with
toilet (WC). ;-)

Old 24-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Jim Lewis

On 24 Sep 2004 at 15:04, Luke Tulkas wrote:

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message

I was wondering if someone can recommend an indoor bonsai tree

that could
be placed in a bathroom - I shower everyday, so there's steam every

morning,
and there is a small meshed window, that faces south.
So there's not much sunlight, and I might have to put in some

artificial
lighting. Ideally, it should have some red leaves/fruit -

So the poor guy asks a perfectly serious question, and everyone makes

fun of
him.

Um . . . well, a bathroom isn't somewhere you go to for leisure
activities

Maybe you're confusing bathroom (bathtubs, showers, jacuzzies, etc.) with
toilet (WC). ;-)

Nah. I don't confuse THAT easily. I don't want a tree in my
shower, either, and as for my bathtub . . .

My jacuzzi, if I had one, would be on the deck. THERE, I'd have
a tree -- or two.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Old 24-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Luke Tulkas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message

[...]

You're lucky you live in Florida. People in colder climates have jacuzzies
indoors. Well, some have them in- _and_ out-doors but that's beside the
point. I wish I had a living bathroom like Druid. Imagine bathing among the
trees. Under the branches. Better yet, let's make that a pool. Or a lake.
With a waterfall instead of jacuzzi. With regular size trees on the shore.
Hm... but then bonsai would be somewhat obsolete. Anyway, until then, living
bathroom could ba a nice approximation. ;-)

Old 24-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Anil Kaushik

I fully agree with what Iris says. One can try a Ficus benjamina which
needs much less light and likes plenty of heat and humidity. In fact
bathroom is an ideal indoor place for a plant like this.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh.

Old 24-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Anil Kaushik

[...]

[IBC] bathroom bonsai Kitsune Miko Bonsai 11 28-09-2004 03:34 AM
bathroom bonsai Druid Bonsai 0 22-09-2004 06:31 PM
ants in the bathroom Richard Australia 1 12-11-2003 09:02 PM
bathroom fern shazzbat United Kingdom 0 21-07-2003 09:37 PM
Bathroom Flange BenignVanilla Ponds 6 26-04-2003 12:56 PM