GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Jack Pine question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/83995-re-%5Bibc%5D-jack-pine-question.html)

Michael Persiano 23-09-2004 06:10 PM

[IBC] Jack Pine question

You write: The bonsai book I own advises that
two-needle pines should have all their needles removed in the Autumn
(with the exception of 6 pairs at the end of each limb.) This seems
to make sense in my case since the needles are so *long* and their
sheer weight is making my seedling lean to one side. Should I go
ahead with this procedure on such a young specimen?

The answer is NO! If you remove all of the needles at this time of year (in a zone that has a winter climate), the Pine is likely to succumb to death.

Pines can be needle plucked AFTER new needles emerge, but the timing must be right.

Needle reduction can be achieved by reducing the amount of water given to the tree in the spring and by regulating the flow of energy throughout the growing season. This is what we must all master if we work with Pines.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

Cordially,

Michael Persiano