GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Approach grafting a Hibiscus. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/84571-%5Bibc%5D-approach-grafting-hibiscus.html)

Scalf, Thad 04-10-2004 08:53 PM

[IBC] Approach grafting a Hibiscus.

Has anyone successfully performed an approach graft on a Hibiscus of any variety? I am attempting it at home, and I will be happy to report the progress I make. I am just curious if anyone has already attempted it, and what caveats they might have found.

The reason I am attempting an approach graft is that I have 2 hibiscus plants that came in the same container and were about 1/4 of an inch apart. They each have some level of taper in their main trunks, but together the effect is much more dramatic.

Thanks,

Thad
Middle Tennessee - USDA Zone 6b

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 04-10-2004 10:41 PM

In a message dated 10/4/2004 3:54:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Has anyone successfully performed an approach graft on a Hibiscus of any
variety?

I have mentioned this before and I don't remember the outcome, but
Hibiscus is not a woody plant in the sense of most trees and shrubs we work with
in Bonsai. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members out there can comment.
Hibiscus does have a bark with a green layer underneath, but then the woody
portion seems different and Hibiscus has a soft "pith" in the middle of the
stem.
I am trying to say that I have not tried approach graft on Hibiscus
and I know some are grafted, but I think it must be different from a "woody"
plant.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --