Old 17-10-2004, 02:57 AM
Iris Cohen

Bill's translation is probably the closest but I would group the 'ko' and
'yuki' together to produce the word 'koyuki', meaning 'a light fall of snow' or
'a light snow'. This gives the impression that the flowers are similar to a
light summer snowfall.

Excellent. But these are good size flowers, more the size of a snowball. LOL.
However, if they remind the registrant of a light summer snowfall, that's fine
with me.
As regards your request for the placement of stress on particular syllables,
my comment would be that the Japanese language does not use stresses but,
instead, uses rising and dropping inflections.

So how do I, with round eyes, pronounce Natsukoyuki without breaking my teeth?
Arigato
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 17-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Les Dowdell

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:26:53 EDT, Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

All this discussion of Japanese names is interesting BUT here in Florida most
of what I grow does not have a Japanese equivalent. How do you say Ficus
salicifolia (nerifolia), natalinsis, heteropodia, benjamina, retusa,

burtt-davyi,
macrophylla. microcarpa, petiolaris, etc.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Billy

If you seriously want Japanese names for various Ficus species you may
want to talk to bonsai growers from Okinawa, in southern Japan. I recently
saw a Ficus bonsai (from Okinawa) in a recent issue of Kindai Bonsai (May,
2004, Pg. 10). It looked like it may have been a F. retusa and was called
gayumaru.

If you do not seriously want Japanese names for various Floridian
bonsai, then I will point out that this topic dealt with finding an English
'translation' of a Japanese name, not finding a Japanese name for an English
or latin name. Not everything has to be translated to another language.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell (aka hokkoku)
living in a hokkoku.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 17-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Les Dowdell

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:57:43 GMT, Iris Cohen wrote:

As regards your request for the placement of stress on particular syllables,
my comment would be that the Japanese language does not use stresses but,
instead, uses rising and dropping inflections.

So how do I, with round eyes, pronounce Natsukoyuki without breaking my teeth?
Arigato
Iris,

Iris

Natsukoyuki has five (5) syllables:
na - as in natural
tsu - as in tsu (hard to find in English)
ko - as in cone
yu - as in you
ki - as in key
Pronounce each syllable with equal stress and timing. That will bring it
close enough to be understood by a Japanese speaker. The inflections are
harder to write with this charcter set and may best be found in a dictionary
and explained in a Japanese language text.

To keep this message bonsai related, I would just say that it sounds like
these would be a bit large to be companion plants in a tokonoma display.

douitashimashite

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
Yuki no shita ni sunde imasu. (Living under the snow)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 18-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Iris Cohen

Pronounce each syllable with equal stress and timing.

Sounds doable.

That will bring it close enough to be understood by a Japanese speaker.

I only know one Japanese orchid grower. The rest are Anglophones. So once and
for all, how do you pronounce Satsuki?

To keep this message bonsai related, I would just say that it sounds like
these would be a bit large to be companion plants in a tokonoma display.

True, I don't have a tokonoma anyway. I hope next year it blooms in time for
our orchid show.
It's tough to be multiply addicted. I just discovered that an unnamed Japanese
maple I was thinking of getting rid of because of an impossible nebari problem
has turned a gorgeous dark red. I may try to air-layer it next spring.

Old 18-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Jim Lewis

On 18 Oct 2004 at 13:12, Iris Cohen wrote:

Pronounce each syllable with equal stress and timing.

Sounds doable.

That will bring it close enough to be understood by a Japanese speaker.

I only know one Japanese orchid grower. The rest are Anglophones. So once and
for all, how do you pronounce Satsuki?

More or less, Sat-s-ki The 'u" is BARELY noticed.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++