Old 02-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Kitsune Miko

When in Tokyo do visit the roofs of department stores.
They have bonsai and koi up there
Kitsune Miko.
--- kevin bailey
wrote:

I know this one's been around before and I have got
Jim Lewis's excellent advice on trips around Tokyo
saved.

Does anyone else have favourite places to go, things
to see and do in Japan. I am hopefully going from
February 8th to 17th. It's an organised tour and the
elements of the schedule proposed a-

▪ Visit to Kinashi Bonsai Village – the largest
Bonsai village in Japan (over 270 gardens)
▪ Visit to Omiya Bonsai Village – Bonsai village
near Tokyo
▪ Entry to Kokufu Bonsai-ten – the biggest
annual Bonsai event in Japan
▪ Guided tours of Kyoto, Tokyo and Nara (Japan’s
former ancient capital)
▪ Visit to Korakuen – one of Japan’s top 3
most celebrated gardens
▪ Travel on Japan’s famous Bullet Train
â–ª 8 nights hotel accommodation (4 nights Kyoto and
4 nights Tokyo)
â–ª Japanese Breakfast daily
â–ª Welcome Dinner on first night of arrival and
Farewell Dinner on the last night
â–ª Scheduled return non-stop Economy class flights
with Japan Airlines
â–ª Airport transfers from Osaka Airport to Kyoto on
arrival and from Tokyo to Narita Airport (Tokyo New
International) on departure
▪ Services of a knowledgeable Japan Journey’s
guide throughout

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
Date: 01/11/2004

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 02-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Jim Lewis

On 2 Nov 2004 at 22:57, kevin bailey wrote:

I know this one's been around before and I have got Jim
Lewis's excellent advice on trips around Tokyo saved.

Does anyone else have favourite places to go, things to see
and do in Japan. I am hopefully going from February 8th to
17th. It's an organised tour and the elements of the schedule
proposed a-

▪ Visit to Kinashi Bonsai Village – the largest Bonsai
village in Japan (over 270 gardens) â–ª Visit to Omiya Bonsai
Village – Bonsai village near Tokyo ▪ Entry to Kokufu
Bonsai-ten – the biggest annual Bonsai event in Japan ▪
Guided tours of Kyoto, Tokyo and Nara (Japan’s former
ancient capital) ▪ Visit to Korakuen – one of Japan’s
top 3 most celebrated gardens ▪ Travel on Japan’s famous
Bullet Train â–ª 8 nights hotel accommodation (4 nights Kyoto
and 4 nights Tokyo) â–ª Japanese Breakfast daily â–ª Welcome
Dinner on first night of arrival and Farewell Dinner on the
last night â–ª Scheduled return non-stop Economy class flights
with Japan Airlines â–ª Airport transfers from Osaka Airport
to Kyoto on arrival and from Tokyo to Narita Airport (Tokyo
New International) on departure â–ª Services of a
knowledgeable Japan Journey’s guide throughout

Cheers

Kev Bailey Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Have a great time, he said enviously. How long a flight is it
from (I assume) Gatwick? It is 13 hours for us from Atlanta.

If you are looking for a good Japanese guidebook, the "Open
Road" Guide is excellent. Frommer's is close behind it.
Fodor's is only for those who want to pay a lot of money.

Be sure to sample from the Soba stands (carts) on city streets.
There, you will get some of the best food in Japan. Make sure
you have a lot of yen change; the cheapest beers are from
vending machines. WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!! ;-)

Kirin Ichiban is the best beer -- much better than the Kirin you
get over here!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Old 03-11-2004, 04:20 AM
Alan Walker

Kevin: Sounds like a cool trip. Wish I was going with you!
I presume you already know about this, but anyone traveling anywhere in Asia, including Japan, should browse through the Bonsai in Asia Guidebook web site by John Oldland at http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Palace/7574/
The section on Japan is at http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Palace/7574/japan.html

Alan Walker

Old 03-11-2004, 05:10 PM
dalecochoy

Kevin,
That sounds like a great trip schedule for sure. Who is sponsor/guide of
the trip?
Save money for Green Club and wear your "drool bucket" ala Saturday Night
Live Circa '75 :)
For gifts, there are GREAT gift marts in both Kyoto and Tokyo, but Kyoto is
a bit bigger. Great place for most non-bonsai gifts to take home and even a
few bonsai related artworks. They make and you can watch them do block
prints there. Huge selection.
Just down the street a tad from the one in Tokyo there is a CHEAP sushi
place of the type with the conveyor belt running by and yu can take plates
off then they tally up when you leave. CHEAP!
I found the breakfasts so great ( especially at the New Miyako hotel in
Kyoto across from bus/train station) that i could usually save money by not
needing to eat again until evening. :)

wish I was going!
Regards,
Dale

Old 03-11-2004, 07:09 PM
kevin bailey

Thanks everyone for the comments, advice and encouragement. I'm certain
to enjoy it, just hope I can fit in a few more of the things I'd really
like to do. A photo shoot near Mt Fuji at dawn would be high on my list.
A little Suiseki hunt (either shopping or a river bed) would also be
nice. Just not certain there will be enough free time.

The company is Japan Journeys in London
http://www.japanjourneys.co.uk/index.htm
and I'm making enquiries about the guide.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales