GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Lime Sulfur - the wrap-up in my head (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/85487-%5Bibc%5D-lime-sulfur-wrap-up-my-head.html)

Beckenbach, Jay 21-10-2004 01:53 PM

[IBC] Lime Sulfur - the wrap-up in my head

The Lime Sulfur thread has been, for me, one of the most informative threads
I've seen in a long time. It's put together a lot of things in my head
concerning deadwood. If you will, Let me think out loud about what I've
decided.

Lime sulfur is a medicine. It treats fungus which could/is deteriorating
deadwood. There are other options if the side effects are a problem. For
me, the problems are not that important and LS is easy to obtain (I have
most of a quart bottle on my shelf).

Lime sulfur has two side effects. One, it stinks. That's ok by me as I use
it outside and leave my trees outside. The smell doesn't bother me very
much. Two, it bleaches. This is an artistic issue and while I have my
opinions (which vary from tree to tree, by the way), the only opinion that
matters is the owner/artist.

Lime sulfur on dry wood beads up for me. This makes it hard to control. A
light misting cures this problem for me. If this thins out the LS as it's
applied, I don't think it matters. If I have to re-apply in six months,
well, I'm putting the tree on the stand then to trim/prune anyway. I'd
rather have the control putting the LS on. Besides, the label gives
dilution ratios for spray applications in orchards.

Lime sulfur is not a preservative. I use wood hardener for that. The
Minwax product works fine for me. I've been using a q-tip to apply it as it
does not clean up with soap and water. I think I saw a water-based product
in the hardware store recently. I may try that when my current supply is no
longer usable (do you know how long a pint of wood hardener lasts when you
are using a q-tip as a brush?).

And finally, a brass wire wheel in a dremel is a bonsaiest's best friend :-)

Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++