GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Pruning Flowering quince and Prunus mume (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/85855-re-%5Bibc%5D-pruning-flowering-quince-prunus-mume.html)

Michael Persiano 01-11-2004 11:08 AM

[IBC] Pruning Flowering quince and Prunus mume

In a message dated 10/31/2004 5:08:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
I canīt help you with the prunus mume.
Prunus mume is a difficult species to manipulate for bonsai culture. For
this reason, so man of these bonsai are allowed to grow freely and, consequently,
do not begin to achieve their true potential within the art. Specimens are
EXTREMELY difficult to find in the US as they are no longer imported into the
country.

Prunus mume flowers between January and March. You should prune back leaving
several buds after flowering to enhance the tree's design and should not
prune the tree again until after the winter bloom. Wiring should be done in the
spring as required. The tree is hardy from zones 6-9. I never allow my 55
year old bonsai to freeze and always use a fast-draining soil.

You can see the work that I have done with prunus mume at
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/apricot2003.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob