GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Tropical Questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/85909-%5Bibc%5D-tropical-questions.html)

Kitsune Miko 29-10-2004 03:12 PM

[IBC] Tropical Questions

Unbeknownst to me, I volunteered to do a presentation
of some sort to my bonsai club in June concerning
Tropical Bonsai, from which I know nothing. I have
ten green fingers and toes outside the house, but
pretty brown fingers inside the house, so I have been
looking around to see what’s available.
Here are some of my discoveries, comments, help
suggestions welcomed.

1) The fragile Grewia I bought on impulse is being
used as a landscape plant at the YMCA near my work
2) I always thought bougies were little sticks out
here, but saw several 15’ high with 4” trunks growing
outside.

So… besides the Grewia I now have a coffee tree with a
marvelous trunk, a 40% off scraggly bougie, a
shefflera, and a money tree. The coffee, shefflera,
and money tree are on the dining room table, getting
misted and getting filtered southwest exposure.

I want my bougie to be fatter. It is in a 2 gal pot,
not pot bound, semi defoliated. Our cold rains have
started, but might not hold. I have this one on the
front porch under an overhang with the cymbidiums.
Should I pot it up now and start feeding? Wait till
spring? Pruning?

The grewia will go into the lean to green house or
porch in December. It feels newly potted in a 1 gal
can. It has no taper, could be fatter, suggestions?

The pachera (?) money tree is a multiple trunk in a 6”
pot. I asked advice about this plant before with no
response. Is anyone working with these?

All advice on or off line appreciated.

Kitsune Miko

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++