Old 13-11-2004, 03:50 AM
Alan Walker

All the passion about how to handle the announcement of a
new program to handle bonsai information got me thinking and
triggered an idea. There is quite a variety of bonsai software
out there in various formats. Some are written for Palm OS and
others for Windows or Mac. Probably most of us have considered
such a program and might have even purchased or downloaded one or
two. A few are even using them! ;-)
My idea is that I would like to have an evaluative report
which compares and contrasts the pros and cons of these programs.
Right now I don't really know which, if any, are worthwhile. I
know it is not so hard to build your own, as Jim has often
suggested, but some of us aren't that knowledgeable or motivated
and prefer a tried and tested tool over our own clumsy effort.
Are there some of you IBCers who would contribute to the
development of such a report? We need to know:
What is available?
What OS will operate it?
What features and functions does it have?
To what degree is it customizable?
How much space does it consume?
How much data will it store?
What kind of data will it store?
How easy is it to learn?
How easy is it to use?
I'm sure you can think of some other variables to
consider. I think everyone can contribute to it, but then some
"experts" need to evaluate it from technological, horticultural,
and artistic perspectives.
Can we have it for Christmas?!?!

Alan Walker

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Jim Lewis

Good idea (below). We'd need several volunteers -- one for
Windon't systems, one for Mac, one for hand-held devices (of
which my hands have never held any!), and one for any
Linux/Unix/DOS-based systems, if any.

Maybe we also should have a tutorial on home-made, data-
base/word processor systems like I've used and still use.

Another factor to be judged: ease of installation.

For some reason, "My Bonsai" (which started all this) will NOT
install on my machine. It's probably some kind of don't-mess-
with-my-Registry software I have installed. Since the "My
Bonsai" installation is all in Italian (one of the European
languages I can LEAST readily decipher at least a few words of )
I don't really know why. The last message I get says something
about "dis-installation" (I think). I was just curious, since
the screen shots were interesting, but I don't really care.

Christmas would be wishful thinking, though -- I suspect. ;-)

Any volunteers?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

On 12 Nov 2004 at 21:50, Alan Walker wrote:

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Theo

Ireneu Castillo wrote:

My friend... our trees are sleeping... like some neurons.

What a tedium!!!

-Ireneu-

no I am impatient with my scissors and my hands are nervous

I realized that a batch of 7 seed born maples have 5 that are
absolutely red strawberry red with the first cold ... and 2 others
still emerald green ..
so with such a bright maple cultivar I am planning to make a twin
trunk or sankan( 3 trunks) maple bonsai
http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/s...to&PhotoID=941
and I am reading to be sure to do well next spring I need to do few
repottings and one is with my old maple sthat nees a restyling of the
neabary with cut of probably 2 main roots and a lot of trimming .. I
am fizzing !
ahve anice week end

En/na Theo ha escrit:

frankly we are making a storm in a glass of water ..
the style of joe the Know was a little bit unecessarily teasing ...
I do not think we deserve disrespect and mockery just because we
are cautious!
than eveyrybody does as he pleases.

Richard Patefield wrote:

Marty Haber wrote:

This thread reminds me...

So you add more clucking?

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 13-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Anil Kaushik

I think this thread is being stretched unnecessarily with reactions and
counter reactions. Let us call it the end of the day and discuss something
more interesting.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Massimo.... thanks for developing a nifty and practical application!
With a couple of tweeks MyBonsai could be a really great and useful
application I've used it for a few days now and think it is pretty

cool.
Happy to register for free......yes all it takes is a little email message
and it's free (scary to some people I know)
But overall a great idea!!

Only problem is it seems even after I install the English language dat

file,
some parts of MyBonsai are still in Italian. For example: the STYLE and
PROPAGATION dropdown menus are in Italian and Japanese wording. Any
possibilty of a fix in the future? (and yes I know the Japanese wording is
essential)
Anyway looking forward to version 1.2 !

FOR THE MISTRUSTING.........
Regarding certain people's intial reaction to the original posting :::
Seems some people are too busy being paranoid and 'net authorative' and

have
forgotten basic manners and courtesy. I'm appalled by this group's

reaction
to someone trying to do something positive for online bonsai enthusiasts.

can see the headlines now: - 'Online Bonsai Enthusiasts targeted by the
international hacker elite for being 'mean' to plants by way of
rootpruning ...now for the weather" - Gees, we're just sitting ducks

aren't
we? Get a grip.

FOR THE LAZY...
I personally think it's *great* that someone offers sound net security
advice ( I do it at work all the time), but it should be done in such a

way
that doesn't UNFAIRLY undermine someones work.
And yes, if you're too lazy and ignorant to update your viruscanner
definitions and don't run even a basic up-to-date firewall in this day and
age - then suffer the consequences, don't hijack someone's efforts to do
something constructive and useful with your neurosis and paranoia......

FOR THE NEUROTIC (or just plain bored like me)......
Scanned by Norton Antivirus (definitions 11/11/04) -
No Virus Threat Detected

Zonealarm and Sygate reports-
No trojan like activity, no asking to 'phone home', no opening of ports,
no browser hi-jacking, no adware, nor any attempted outgoing TCP
or UDP connections....are we dead yet?

Lovely, I'm sold !

Joe

"Theo" wrote in message

Richard Patefield wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 10 Nov 2004 at 7:24, Theo wrote:

Massimo you have a TOO big EGO calm down :-)

try to understand actually with all the problem of viruses and
trojan horses everybidy is a little bit scared before dowloading
and executing whatever

Actually "everybody" shouldn't be.

Only those who are so dumb they don't keep their virus and spyware
programs up to date

Virus definitions and suchlike are always 'out of date'. Computer
security companies don't issue updates until after they have
discovered a vulnerability. How could they?

Richard

thanks to come to my rescue :-D
tonite I ate this I made it myself , it was excellent

http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/s...=ShowPhoto&Pho
toID=935

****

****

Old 13-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Theo

there are not many intersting topics to discuss for the moment so
people gets chatty ........

"Theo" wrote in message

Old 13-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Mark Hill

Jim;

Sign me up !

I have a few good testing skills, and a few not so good.
First, I'm a certified Microsoft "Windows eXPert" with many years of
software development and testing under my belt.
Nothing MS phases me.

Unfortunately, I'm a bonsai "newbie" with only two years experience.
I've taken two dozen courses from Jim Doyle (and various visiting
dignitaries such as Chase Rosade and Walter Pall) at Jim's shop in
Harrisburg PA, during which I've accumulated two dozen "potensai".
My bonsai library is bursting at the seams with a fine collection of very
informative and inspirational books.
I've accumulated a large number of photo's of my trees but unfortunately I
don't own a formal bonsai application to document their development.
It's time I got one.
I'm a prime candidate for this testing; however, my inexperience
(horticulturally speaking) may prove to be a problem.
I'll have no idea when the application is feeding me a line of BS !
Also, I'm limited to English.

If anyone would care to compile a list of applications that will run under
XP or 2K3, I'll gladly kick their tires and document my observations.

Regards
Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA
I can be contacted off-group at

Old 13-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Jim Lewis

On 13 Nov 2004 at 15:06, Mark Hill wrote:

Jim;

Sign me up !

snip

If anyone would care to compile a list of applications that will run under
XP or 2K3, I'll gladly kick their tires and document my observations.

Well, it was Alan's idea, but there are a couple of Bonsai
programs listed at the bottom of this page (below):

http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/bonsailinks/magazines.htm

We used to have one as a sponsor of the IBC site, but I don't
see it there any more, and I can't recall who's it was.

Then there's the one that got advertised here a few days ago
(there's an English-language ad-on at the site) at:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/mybonsai/index_eng.htm

Others can add onto this list -- though there probably aren't
many more.

Database experts feel free to chip in about how you have yours
set up, most DBs are pretty much alike so one size should fit
all -- with modifications.

Unless Alan wants to do it, I'll happily take people's reviews,
tutorials for DB- and WP-based systems and put them together so
Nic can add the info to the website. If there are specific web
links, please include those.

And Alan said something about "by Christmas." ;-) ???????

I assume he meant "in time for Christmas ordering." Prolly
tough to do, though winter is a good time for projects of this
kind.

Old 15-11-2004, 05:06 AM
Mark Hill

A quick update regarding bonsai software .......

Over the weekend I managed to locate, download and test (initially) two
software applications.
A program called Virtual Bonsai located at
http://www.jfpinc.com/bonsai_dl/index.htm appears to be an interesting use
of computer graphics used to create and nurture an e-bonsai. Cute tool but
not much good for documenting your bonsai collection.
A second program called Aceana 2001 located at
http://www.monbonsai.com/aceana/en/index.htm appears to be a good method of
documenting the history of your trees with TONS of useful documentation
features.
Given another week, I will attempt to provide a complete evaluation of these
two tools.
In addition, I've located a number of rather outdated software databases
created for Windows 95 and 98 which I have yet to download.

In the interim, does anyone know of other applications supporting our art
form ?

Regards
Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 18-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Joe The Know?

Yes happy to test any Bonsai software....win98, Mac 9.2, Mac OSX.!
Just let me know.
Hope everyone is well,
Hooroo!

"Mark Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Free Software Downloads = Freeware = and ¤ Shareware _________ [email protected] United Kingdom 0 24-07-2008 09:13 AM
Try MyBonsai - free software developed by me Mamo Bonsai 0 08-11-2005 09:54 PM
Garden CAD freeware Hougaarden Lawns 5 28-06-2003 06:32 PM
Garden Record Keeping Freeware? Pat Meadows Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 01:39 PM