Old 08-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Ego

Default try MyBonsai v1.1 - it is freeware

Hi all,

I have developed a software called MyBonsai to help people in managing
bonsai.

MyBonsai is free... and I hope useful :-)

You can download MyBonsai at:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/mybonsai/index_eng.htm

Let me know your comments and suggestions for future improvements.

Many thanks
M.

GIGAMAIL by X-Privat: http://www.x-privat.org/gigamail.php
Old 08-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Alan Walker

This may be a legitimate offer, or it may be an invitation
to a virus, worm or something similar. I would not recommend
downloading software from someone you do not know.
"M." is not familiar to me on this group. I know that not
everyone posts and many participate only by reading, but this
offer sounds very risky to me, and I would hate for any of my
bonsai friends to be exploited by a prank just because it has
bonsai in the label.
"M.", feel free to assuage my apprehension about your offer.

Alan Walker

I have developed a software called MyBonsai to help people in
managing
bonsai.

MyBonsai is free... and I hope useful :-)

You can download MyBonsai at:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/mybonsai/index_eng.htm

Let me know your comments and suggestions for future
improvements.

Many thanks
M.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Jeff

About viruses? I just downloaded the program and the accompanying .dat
file and my antivirus,Panda with an updated virus sig said it was
clean.

This webpage says that it is freeware. Why must I then register
freeware before 15 days so that it continues working?

It might be a great piece of software for bonsai but I have never
heard of registering freeware.

On 8 Nov 2004 14:13:46 -0800, (Alan Walker)
wrote:

[...]

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Jim Lewis

On 8 Nov 2004 at 17:01, Jeff wrote:

This webpage says that it is freeware. Why must I then register
freeware before 15 days so that it continues working?

It might be a great piece of software for bonsai but I have never
heard of registering freeware.

Um . . the word "free" means you don't PAY anything for it. It
has nothing at all to do with "registration."

Registration for "freeware" isn't unheard of. It is:

1. a way of telling how many people really want to use your
program. Download counting doesn't tell you that.
2. an opportunity for people to donate a tad here and there to
help support someone.
3. A way of controlling the haphazard distribution of the
software (and seeing some other person taking credit for it in
some other forum).
and
4. Totally up to the developer -- who has, after all, put more
work into it than YOU have.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Jim Lewis

On 8 Nov 2004 at 16:13, Alan Walker wrote:

This may be a legitimate offer, or it may be an invitation
to a virus, worm or something similar. I would not recommend
downloading software from someone you do not know.
"M." is not familiar to me on this group. I know that not
everyone posts and many participate only by reading, but this
offer sounds very risky to me, and I would hate for any of my
bonsai friends to be exploited by a prank just because it has
bonsai in the label.
"M.", feel free to assuage my apprehension about your offer.

Well, if you have up-to-date virus software on your machine (as
you should), you should not have to worry. If you're really
paranoid and worry that a virus developer chose a bonsai group
to launch a NEW virus, :-) wait a week, THEN download it after
the virus software boys have a new DAT file out.

But I checked it out; it appears to be clean.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

Old 09-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Ego

Hi All,

.... sorry but I don't understand your mistrust.

Virus, worm?????? I have simply developed a software to manage bonsai trees.
Yes, I'm new because I'm searching for bonsai newsgroup to introduce my
software since
I have spent a lot of time in developing MyBonsai and I think it could be
useful for some other user.

Why to register a freeware? Simply, because this is the only way that I have
to count MyBonsai users!

Anyway... there's no problem... if you believe that MyBonsai is a virus or
something similar do not download it...

I hope other users will try my software and will give me feedbacks to
improve it in a future release.

Thanks
Massimo

Old 10-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Jim Lewis

On 9 Nov 2004 at 23:53, Ego wrote:

Hi All,

... sorry but I don't understand your mistrust.

Virus, worm?????? I have simply developed a software to manage bonsai trees.
Yes, I'm new because I'm searching for bonsai newsgroup to introduce my
software since
I have spent a lot of time in developing MyBonsai and I think it could be
useful for some other user.

Why to register a freeware? Simply, because this is the only way that I have
to count MyBonsai users!

Anyway... there's no problem... if you believe that MyBonsai is a virus or
something similar do not download it...

I hope other users will try my software and will give me feedbacks to
improve it in a future release.

Thanks
Massimo

Massimo . . . some people are just grumpy.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Usually I
am the grumpy one. Not this time. ;-)

Old 10-11-2004, 03:54 AM
Alan Walker

Well, Jim, I didn't think I was grumpy at all. Massimo
got it right. I was mistrustful. I think there's ample reason for
anyone to be mistrustful of offerings from unknown entities with
no identifying information. The original was just signed "M." and
the return name of "Ego" (Now we at least have a first name.) was
suggestive of a prankster to me. I just didn't want anyone to get
burned.
Yours and the other response assuaged my concern about
the program being a Trojan Horse. I remain...
Cautiously yours, ;-)

Alan Walker

Old 10-11-2004, 06:24 AM
Theo

Massimo you have a TOO big EGO calm down :-)

try to understand
actually with all the problem of viruses and trojan horses
everybidy is a little bit scared before dowloading and executing
whatever
would you have been a regular customer and known form everybody here
as making bonsai and discussing about your pets here I would not mind
to have downloaded it ..
beside that I already have a nice software , developed by another
Italian Pino Latini custoemr of an Italian bonsai site
that is programmed to tell you every x years when to repot and you
can open a bubble on each plant and add the works you have done..
quite easy to use
but nothing substitute the papers IMHO .
the time lost in writing is the same as for typing
and the infermation is much more easily retrived and consulted on
papers
Theo

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 10-11-2004, 06:28 AM
Theo

Hi
Alan Walker wrote:

Well, Jim, I didn't think I was grumpy at all. Massimo
got it right. I was mistrustful. I think there's ample reason for
anyone to be mistrustful of offerings from unknown entities with
no identifying information. The original was just signed "M." and
the return name of "Ego" (Now we at least have a first name.) was
suggestive of a prankster to me. I just didn't want anyone to get
burned.
Yours and the other response assuaged my concern about
the program being a Trojan Horse. I remain...
Cautiously yours, ;-)

exactly, and Massimo /ego is not even e recurrent and know client here

yesterday I was downloading a program from a site I was advised as a
good one for downloads, and I had such a warning when wanted to exe the
program that I gave up until I will have more information form the
person taht gave me teh advice!

Old 10-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Jim Lewis

On 10 Nov 2004 at 7:24, Theo wrote:

Massimo you have a TOO big EGO calm down :-)

try to understand
actually with all the problem of viruses and trojan horses
everybidy is a little bit scared before dowloading and executing
whatever

Actually "everybody" shouldn't be.

Only those who are so dumb they don't keep their virus and
spyware programs up to date. And THEY deserve what they get.

So let's drop all this, shall we? Sheesh! The guy was trying
to do something FOR you!

Old 10-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Richard Patefield

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 10 Nov 2004 at 7:24, Theo wrote:

Massimo you have a TOO big EGO calm down :-)

try to understand actually with all the problem of viruses and
trojan horses everybidy is a little bit scared before dowloading
and executing whatever

Actually "everybody" shouldn't be.

Only those who are so dumb they don't keep their virus and spyware
programs up to date

Virus definitions and suchlike are always 'out of date'. Computer
security companies don't issue updates until after they have
discovered a vulnerability. How could they?

Richard

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Free Software Downloads = Freeware = and ¤ Shareware _________ [email protected] United Kingdom 0 24-07-2008 09:13 AM
Try MyBonsai - free software developed by me Mamo Bonsai 0 08-11-2005 09:54 PM
Garden CAD freeware Hougaarden Lawns 5 28-06-2003 06:32 PM
Garden Record Keeping Freeware? Pat Meadows Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 01:39 PM