Old 24-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Craig Cowing

Anil Kaushik wrote:

Nina

I have not been able to understand why you people do not add natural soil to
the Bonsai compost! I don't think it can really create problems when coarse
ingredients like turface, grit and bark are there in the mix.

snip

Please answer the first sentence.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Anil:
With the encouragement of my wife, the queen of compost, Anita Hawkins, this year I
started adding compost to my soil as part of the organic component. I have found
that *sifted* compost (note the emphasis) is not dense, but is actually very fluffy
and water still drains well from it. It is certainly not the largest part of my
soil, generally no more than about a third, but I had pretty good results this
year. The more coarse part of my soil is composted bark, turface, and gravel. I
am not as strict in measuring it as some are.

I have not had any problems with root rot, etc. that could happen if I weren't
careful. This provides, I feel, the natural organic elements that the tree is
going to look for in nature.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Theo

HI Craig
I agree with your wife
I started making compost home made
the very best is made with oak leaves or Chestnut leaves this year I
had a huge mushroom and few small ones that come out of it
the compost is very soft and as you do I will use wuth crushed red
lava or granite 3 to 5 mm
1/3 of composta and the rest garnite or lava
I already stared with some and roots are very nice and the soil
dires accordning as you wish if you dd some bark of sequoia
I have few sequoias in my park and 2 has been cut and the bark is
available first I sterilize it in steam with microwawes and than I cut
it in small dices , according teh mix I do can take 1 week to dry

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 24-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Jim Lewis

On 24 Nov 2004 at 19:12, Theo wrote:

But this is a sort of (with)out-of-soil-growing !

Oh, phoo! You've heard of "safe sex?" We're practicing "Safe
Bonsai growing."

When you add dirt you cannot avoid adding pathogens (unless, of
course, you sterilize the dirt, and I know you don't) and, like
casual sexual partners and STD, while chances are fairly good
that the pathogen you add will NOT hurt your tree, there is the
chance that it will.

As for compost, GOOD compost is self-sterilized. It gets HOT in
a good, well-turned compost pile. Still, compost is pretty fine-
grained soil and since it is the product of decay so by
definition if it has decay bacteria included in it, your compost
will only get finer as time goes on. That clogs up your soil.

It is often forgotten, but roots need more than water and
nutrients. They need air. Clogged soil interferes with the
provision of air to the roots.

Over time, the pine bark we use decomposes bit and actually
becomes a kind of soil in our pot. About then, though, we
repot.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Anil said:

I have not been able to understand why you people do not add natural

soil to the Bonsai compost!

There are 3 reasons for this:

1) Bonsai need well-drained conditions above almost everything else,
and the kind of non-soil mix we use gives very good drainage. There
is almost no way to add soil to a gravel-based potting medium without
clogging the air pores.

2) Most of our information on container-growth of plants comes from
the nursery industry, and in the US essentially no one uses soil in
their container mixes. I just did a survey of what the major
Rhododendron growers in the US use for their potting mix, and they all
use nonsoil mixes (and their mixes are essentially the same except for
the source of bark, which varies regionally). Since full-spectrum
fertilizers are readily available, there is no need for a soil
component in commercial nurseries.

3) Nonsoil mixes start out with few pathogens, and with a few
precautions, can stay disease-free. Mixes that use soil have to be
sterilized, and autoclaving soil changes its properties.

A few years ago I was involved in a survey of the Pythium flora in
greenhouses in the East coast (Pythium is the organism that causes
"damping off" and many root rots) and the results of our survey were
startlingly different from the results of scientists doing this sort
of work 40 years ago. The reason appears to be that most greenhouses
now use soilless mix and don't start their plants from seed as much,
preferring to buy flats from wholesalers. So the species of Pythium
in greenhouses today aren't coming in on soil; they're coming in on
the plants.

Nina, who uses no soil in her plant experiments, either.

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Marty Haber

Thanks for the thumbnail on soil. One subject that needs some thought is
the bark content in one's mix.
For years I've been debunking the use of decomposed bark in bonsai soil.
Some time ago, Brent Walston came up with his statement that fresh bark is
far better. Since I am of the same opinion, I'd like to add my 2c.
The size of the bark pieces is much more important than the stage of decay.
I use Cedarcide (reg. TM)
which comes in various sizes down to 1/4". It can be used right out of the
package without sifting, and has its own natural anti-insect protection. It
is not decomposed at all, and has never caused any leaching problems for me.
It does start to rot after 2 years, but will carry over for 3 in a pinch ...
and I guess we all repot by then, anyway.
P.S. I have no financial interest in Cedarcide.

Old 24-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

Oh, phoo! You've heard of "safe sex?" We're practicing "Safe
Bonsai growing."

danger and to know haw to play the right rules is a part of the game
too safe .. is like eat syntehtic meat instead of a T bone steak IMHO !

When you add dirt you cannot avoid adding pathogens (unless, of
course, you sterilize the dirt, and I know you don't) and, like
casual sexual partners and STD, while chances are fairly good
that the pathogen you add will NOT hurt your tree, there is the
chance that it will.

trees always lived in nature and patogenes made them stronger ( the
one that survived at least ) and a lot survived and made a strong breed

As for compost, GOOD compost is self-sterilized. It gets HOT in
a good, well-turned compost pile. Still, compost is pretty fine-
grained soil and since it is the product of decay so by
definition if it has decay bacteria included in it, your compost
will only get finer as time goes on. That clogs up your soil.

yes but generally it takes two years to make a good compost
I use it after this time when I need repotting

It is often forgotten, but roots need more than water and
nutrients. They need air. Clogged soil interferes with the
provision of air to the roots.

yes of course
but in real nature you have grit and soil and trees live in the
one tehy are fitted to live in .. a seed in a wrong soil wither and die
some prefer in calcar some acidic some live in clay or silica
others in swamp
of course we have , due to the reduced space of a pot to create the
ideal place for roots to develope but if we only use non-soil and
fertilizers we do a sort of syntetic environment

similar to hydroculture but instead of water we use a moist solid
medium the non -soil!

it is not a normal environment , and beside that patogenes are
carried by wind insects animal dejections and whatever unless you
grow your bonsais under a glass bell cut form whatever contact with
the external world

but this is almost possible now or in labs, but not during the
centuries before ,and Bonsai art survived patogenes and all different
soils and mix

Over time, the pine bark we use decomposes bit and actually
becomes a kind of soil in our pot. About then, though, we
repot.

exactly
and air does not circulate as well as in the beginning of repotting ..

in this way we could grow bonsai in chopped glass grit
and add macro and micro elements when needed

but would it be to make Bonsai ? :-)
a doctor told me lately
we are not healty in the meaniong of viruses or desease -free
we are filled up with viruses and microbs that cannot develope and
kill us as we have immuno defenses but to have tehm we must be in
contanct with viruses or micronbs to develope them

Old 25-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Alan Walker

Theo: A big difference is that I don't care much if a tree in the
forest dies of natural causes, but I care a whole lot if any of
my bonsai die for any reason. I want much better survival rates
than nature, so for me the nature comparison is moot. I'll
continue to practice risk management for bonsai.

Alan Walker

From: Theo
[...]

Just for today... don't worry .....be happy

Old 25-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Theo

Hi Alan

Alan Walker wrote:

Theo: A big difference is that I don't care much if a tree in the
forest dies of natural causes, but I care a whole lot if any of
my bonsai die for any reason. I want much better survival rates
than nature, so for me the nature comparison is moot. I'll
continue to practice risk management for bonsai.

Alan Walker

the only problems I had were in the evry beginning when I treated
bonsais like babies .. and with difficult species like Japanese holly
or apples were kept inside home in winther and one serissa ..
but the pentaphilla and deshojo palmatum I had and I was really
frightened to care them as too important for a beginner
survived during 25 years until today
the only time I had a problem 4 and 2 years ago was because of a bad
making of a pot
in fact two pentaphilla pines went twice in there both developed
roots decay.. the second has been saved .. and the pot discarded

Old 25-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Anil Kaushik

Theo

Excellent! You and I are on the same wavelength! I think SYENTHIC cultural
practices in US is the result of too much hype created for the readymade
(lazy-man's) products by the manufacturers and their agents probably with
the motive of making profits. As the mother feed is the best for a baby,
likewise mother earth (natural soil) is the best food source for a plant.
Highly infected, infested and polluted soil will not support plant life.
But where is the need to get such stuff then sterilize or autoclave it! I
take good fertilesoil, dry it in the Sun and then sift it through a sieve
that has 40 x 40 meshes per sq.inch, to remove the fine dust. Similarly we
use well rotted leaf or dung compost after sifting it through 20 x 20 mesh.
And adding coarse sharp sand or inert grit to it, the mixture becomes quite
porous and easily last one year without clogging. In the next repotting, we
recycle the old mixture by sifting it again (to remove the broken fine
particles) and mixing it with the fresh mixture in 50-50ratio, adding some
broad spectrum organic fertilizer. All plants grow very well in this
medium.

As for the micro-elements are concerned, these are sufficient in organic
fertlisers and soil.

Old 25-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Theo

Hello Anil
Anil Kaushik wrote:

Theo

Excellent! You and I are on the same wavelength!

;-)
I think SYENTHIC cultural
practices in US is the result of too much hype created for the readymade
(lazy-man's) products by the manufacturers and their agents probably with
the motive of making profits.

probably due to production and to avoid patopgenous that can destroy
young breed
I read of a Japanese master that when buys some plants in nurseries he
knows that are hevily under chemicals to keep them fine so during one
year he leaves the new bought plant grow and to get free fo chemical to
rebuilt his own defenses
I think he is right

[...]

yeah
I normally steam-sterilize the lava or gravel I use as it comes from
soils and places I do not know so I wash and than put in a plastic bag
with some water in microwave
so I can recicle it over and over again and adding a little old
soil plus new home made compost it helps to colonize with *home* bacteria
Akadama is getting not only expensive but also degradates quite quickly
so I use just a third with lava and the compost
for needles I use less compost with maples 30% is ok
my coarse lava or gravel is about 4-5 mm and porous so helps in air
circulation
aftere ripotting the old soil aka + gravel or lava + old compost is
sifted the dust is thrown in nature or in my geraniums pots and the
solid gravel is washed sterilized and stored for others plants whene
needed in months to come

As for the micro-elements are concerned, these are sufficient in organic
fertlisers and soil.

guess so , and anyway there are also in biogold fish emulsion and so on
Regards

Old 27-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Brent Walston

Anil Kaushik wrote:

I have not been able to understand why you people do not add natural soil to
the Bonsai compost! I don't think it can really create problems when coarse
ingredients like turface, grit and bark are there in the mix. Soil provides
the basic nutrition to the plants and in fact all flora grow in soil. Or is
there some other reason for using the soiless compost? In India we use
coarse sand/grit, fertile soil and coarse manure in equal parts and all the
plants grow well.

Anil

There have been good responses to your question, but I believe there was
only one that was close to my feeling about why you are successful in
your regime while we have chosen our soilless route: The answer, I
believe is the difference in our climates. I am sure that it is as hard
for you to imagine what conditions are like in a temperate climate as it
is for me to comprehend growing in the tropics. None the less, I will
take a crack at it.

The species which you grow and your climate means that there is activity
of some sort year round, although I am sure there are periods of slower
growth. In temperate climates there are long periods of almost no growth
activity whatsoever. What this means is that your soil is in a constant
state of wet/dry cycling. That is, water movement is nearly continual.
Under such conditions, soil decomposition is minimal, and soil collapse
is not not much of a problem. But I do note that you repot every year or
so. At that rate of repotting, particle degradation would not be a
problem even for those of us in a temperate climate. Our repotting rates
are usually two to three years, up to ten years or more for pines. This
longer period argues for more stable constituents.

Additionally, in cold climates, the freeze/thaw cycling in winter is a
factor in particle degradation as is the lack of a proper wet/dry
cycling during the dormant season. Our soils tend to stay WET for most
of the winter, which can be as long as October through March. That is a
very long period of inactivity for a mostly inorganic soil. Use of a
stable soilless mix insures that aeration is still present during this
period, and soil composting is minimal. I seldom notice that my soil
collapses much during the growing season for healthy plants, however at
the end of a winter where we get 30 inches of rain in three or four
months, spring definitely brings signs of soil problems, notably soil
levels sinking in nursery containers.

Now of course, it is possible for us in the temperate zones to grow in a
mix similiar to yours, as it is possible for you to grow in soilless
mixes. I have never been dogmatic about soil mixes, that is why I try to
point out the principles of soil theory rather than a rigid recipe. Each
soil recipe is going to require it's own concomitant regime of watering
and other environmental care. In the tropics, yours works fine with your
cultural practices, in temperate zones we are finding that soilless
mixes work best with our cultural practices. If it works, it works. I
usually don't even question what a person uses for soil if their trees
are healthy. However, when someone isn't satisfied with the growth they
are getting, or have a declining tree, the first thing I do is examine
the soil. Most times the soil is too heavy in organic and fine material,
and so I will recommend a soilless mix. Followup has shown me that I am
usually right about this, as health and vigor improves. But this is for
our climate and our cultural practices. This is a problem in an
international forum, so the realization of such and an appropriate
disclaimer are usually helpful.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

Old 27-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Theo

Hi Brent
I rose the thread wondering of microelements were due to plants
regularly around the year ,
I had a lot or reponses and Jim Lewis posted a link to your site
about fertilization..
now I have the answer I was looking for ..
of course as usual the thread shifted onto another direction soils
and non soils even if the two are linked ( soil and microelements
-fertilization
yes you are right , as I say also
whatever problem might rise I ask tehese questions
1) which kind of soil do you have ?
2) which climate do you live in ?
3) depends on which problem the persona has,..
we have a tendency to generalize that every body lives under ** our
climates* Our climates are :
I am in Switzerland others in Haway India Madagascar
S. Francisco Tucson or Estonia ( most of you does not even know
where it is :-D) & so on

I was in Frisco 7 years ago and I calleld you by phome
unfortunately I could not pass by your nursery and IS my still my
great regret!

best regards ..

Old 28-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Anil Kaushik

Brent

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. At last I got the right answer!
(Theo also said so and I think he was absolutely correct)
Also could you please tell if there are parameters regarding the porosity of
Bonsai mixture? Has anybody conducted research or study on *porosity*. If
you pour water over gravel, the water will drain out in seconds. And if you
do the same on fine grit say with 1 to 2 mm sized particles, it will still
drain out quickly. Likewise it will pass out quickly through fine sand
(dust free) or may take a little longer. How porous the Bonsai potting mix
should be for different climatic conditions? If you have some information
please share.

Old 28-11-2004, 01:27 AM
Brent Walston

Anil

Absolutely, it is well documented that good container mixes should have
about 25% porosity (air space by volume). There are even simple tests
you can conduct to measure it. I could post one if anyone is interested.

The rate at which the water drains out is only an indication of
aeration. The situation is this: Water will drain from a pot of soil
until the lowest possible level of saturated soil is reached. No more
water will drain out, EVER. The height of this column of saturated soil
in the bottom of pot depends upon the nature of the soil, but mostly by
the particle size. The finer the soil, the higher the column, and thus
the greater the volume of saturated soil (and total volume of water)
retained after drainage.

Further removal of water is accomplished by transpiration of the plant
(water is absorbed by the roots and transported to the leaves). It may
not be obvious, but this is the greatest factor in removing water from
the soil, evaporation is the secondary factor.

You can do some simple experiments to test this. Saturate a common
sponge with water and place it flat on your hand until it stops
draining. Then tip it vertically, more water will drain. This is because
you have increased the height of the saturated column. It will continue
to drain until the column height is the same as the flat sponge. From
this experiment you can see that the shape of the pot will also affect
the amount of water retained. A tall pot will retain LESS water than a
low flat pot of the same volume with the same soil.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com