Old 21-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Theo

Default Microelemnts

Hi
I normally give some microelements mixed with the repotting soil
and sometimes I sprinkle some this period of the year on the surface
but when is the best period and how often shouldl micro elements be
given to the bonsai ?
once per ear twice ? more often ..
I agree it all depends about the retention of the soil and the washing
of the same for strong rains
any advice?
Thanks

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 21-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Iris Cohen

I normally give some microelements mixed with the repotting soil and
sometimes I sprinkle some this period of the year on the surface but when is
the best period and how often shouldl micro elements be given to the bonsai?

Why would you give fertilizer at this time of year, except to indoor bonsai?
Many fertilizers nowadays contain trace elements, including Miracid, Dyna-Gro,
& some of Peters. Your best bet is to rotate among several different brands, &
make sure you give a fertilizer with trace elements about once a month during
the growing season. I don't bother with those organic cakes or other
concoctions, but I found the plants seem to like fish fertilizer and seaweed
extract. I feed Neptune's Harvest about once a month. Just watch out for
yellowjackets when you use it outdoors.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
Old 21-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Jim Lewis

On 21 Nov 2004 at 9:58, Theo wrote:

Hi
I normally give some microelements mixed with the repotting soil
and sometimes I sprinkle some this period of the year on the surface
but when is the best period and how often shouldl micro elements be
given to the bonsai ?
once per ear twice ? more often ..
I agree it all depends about the retention of the soil and the washing
of the same for strong rains
any advice?
Thanks

The best way is to fertilize with a fertilizer that already
contains microelements, since trees need and use them all year
long (even hibernating trees need their sustenance).

But they don't need MUCH of any one of them -- fractions of a
percent per unit of fertilizer/water -- and adding microelements
yourself to trees in small pots can easily overdose them.

Once a year, assuming your bonsai soil is a free-draining mix
would be far to little; the stuff would vanish in a day or two,
and I do not know how efficiently trees' roots take up the minor
elements.

So, I'd recommend a fertilizer that contains it all so that your
trees have what they need throughout the year.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Marty Haber

Yeah, Jim, the word should be written:
"MICRO-elements", so that everyone would know that the emphasis is on first
syllable.

Old 21-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Theo

HI

Iris Cohen wrote:

I normally give some microelements mixed with the repotting soil and
sometimes I sprinkle some this period of the year on the surface but when is
the best period and how often shouldl micro elements be given to the bonsai?

Why would you give fertilizer at this time of year, except to indoor bonsai?

microelements are NOT fertilizers
are Iron Cupper Sulphur Molibedenum Barium Zinc
the lack of some of tehse elements provocke chlorosis or malformation
in new growth ins pering or stains on leaves
are very importanta
and often are given togetehr with the Japanese cakes
S correct the soil acidity if is too alkaline because of calcar

Many fertilizers nowadays contain trace elements, including Miracid, Dyna-Gro,
& some of Peters.

in teh States :-) yes not here
Your best bet is to rotate among several different brands, &

I do with the brands I am used to

make sure you give a fertilizer with trace elements about once a month during
the growing season. I don't bother with those organic cakes or other
concoctions, but I found the plants seem to like fish fertilizer and seaweed
extract.

still have som fish emulsion I bought in the States but I coudl not
find last time I was teher few years ago so probaly I need to orde
trought the net
I feed Neptune's Harvest about once a month. Just watch out for
yellowjackets when you use it outdoors.

hard to find Algae in the fertilizers here

Old 21-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

[...]

HI Jim
I see
I have bought 2 poinds of it few years ago
and give a coffee spoon in teh mix and in novembere on the soil
some peopel uso jin liquid 2% with water to give to teh soil to
acidify it and is good for roots too but not with pines ..
Jorge Penalba advice some S sulphur dust on the soil, so I decided to
buy some S sulphur and suddenly checked on my microelements box to see
if there was any

there it is in teh mix ,a high % 15 !!!

now the point is
will once per year do enough ,or is better maybe to give some each
yeach qarter of the year ?
teh box says that the quantity is good ( 2 lbs for a 4 sq ft of soil ..
but does not say once in spring or november or sparingly... say
nothing !

Old 22-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Jim Lewis

now the point is
will once per year do enough ,or is better maybe to give some each
yeach qarter of the year ?
teh box says that the quantity is good ( 2 lbs for a 4 sq ft of soil ..
but does not say once in spring or november or sparingly... say
nothing !

I have to repeat, Theo that the instructions on the package
undoubtedly were NOT written to apply to bonsai.

Use that stuff according to directions (a couple of time a year,
probably) on plants in your garden. For bonsai, use a
fertilizer regularly that contains the micronutrients.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Old 22-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

now the point is
will once per year do enough ,or is better maybe to give some each
yeach qarter of the year ?
teh box says that the quantity is good ( 2 lbs for a 4 sq ft of soil ..
but does not say once in spring or november or sparingly... say
nothing !

I have to repeat, Theo that the instructions on the package
undoubtedly were NOT written to apply to bonsai.

Use that stuff according to directions (a couple of time a year,
probably) on plants in your garden. For bonsai, use a
fertilizer regularly that contains the micronutrients.

right guess
It says nothing .. but as I always did as you are suggesting and most of
the time the microelements are contained in the organis fertilizer
so will give in spring and late autumn as usaual ..
Thanks Jim

Old 22-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 21 Nov 2004 at 17:25, Theo wrote:

Why would you give fertilizer at this time of year, except to indoor bonsai?

microelements are NOT fertilizers

Yes they are.

fertilizers are NPK
microelements are F S CU b MB ZN
the amazing thing is that we take the same, and in case of deficency
we get as sick ( our way ) as plants
but we do not get noureshed with oligo elements only nor with vitamins

Old 22-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Jim Lewis

On 22 Nov 2004 at 23:04, Theo wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 21 Nov 2004 at 17:25, Theo wrote:

Why would you give fertilizer at this time of year, except to indoor bonsai?

microelements are NOT fertilizers

Yes they are.

fertilizers are NPK
microelements are F S CU b MB ZN
the amazing thing is that we take the same, and in case of deficency
we get as sick ( our way ) as plants
but we do not get noureshed with oligo elements only nor with vitamins

I don't want to beat a dead horse, Theo, but you seem intent of
doing what you want to do anyway, but "fertilizer" is defined
simply as "a substance used to make soil more fertile."
Fertility is: "capable of sustaining abundant plant growth."

To grow, plants need NPK and ALL of the trace elements (and
there are a few more than those you list). Those are found in
good fertilizers. Poor fertilizers only have NPK.

However, define it as you will.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature