GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] OT Geography and History Lesson (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/87208-%5Bibc%5D-ot-geography-history-lesson.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 27-11-2004 08:21 PM

[IBC] OT Geography and History Lesson

In a message dated 11/27/2004 2:53:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Estonia ( most of you does not even know
where it is :-D

Estonia is one of the "Baltic States" which were for many years under the
control of the Soviet Union. The other two are Latvia and Lithuania.
The Soviets attempted to replace their language and culture without success.
Although the cultures are very old they never existed as independent states
until just after World War I when The Treaty of Versailles, under the direction
of US President Woodrow Wilson created a large number of "national states."
Prior to that they had been dominated by the Russians, Poles, Germans and I
think even Fins.

Billy M. Rhodes Ed. S.
Sometime teacher of history and geography.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Theo 27-11-2004 09:30 PM

Hi Iris
Iris Cohen wrote:

Estonia ( most of you do not even know

where it is

Without looking, the capital is Tallinn. (I wasn't 100% sure, so I peeked.)

:-)

But I can't remember the capital of Lithuania.

Riga I guess
we are actually in the same geographical and political ( excepted
monarchies ) of the 1890 114 years before

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Iris Cohen 28-11-2004 03:20 PM

the capital of Lithuania.
Riga I guess

Riga is the capital of Latvia.
Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Theo 28-11-2004 04:16 PM

Iris Cohen wrote:

the capital of Lithuania.
Riga I guess

Riga is the capital of Latvia.
Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania.

hat's off to you :-)
I did not even check but I guess you are right, excellent Iris :-)
I thought that Latvia and Lithuania were the same .. so many small
countries and forgotten republicks from the former Communist empire
that I do not even bother to know they exist
there are wonderful places but too cold in all seasons for my
taste and there are so many others far more interesting and closer for
me to see..