Old 28-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered User

Location: Tennessee, USA
Default What is the best tree to use for bonsai?

I am trying to find a good tree for bonsai in zone 7. I am looking for the best for my zone, and one that is easily trained. I will be needing about 20 to line my driveway.
Old 29-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Iris Cohen

I am trying to find a good tree for bonsai in zone 7. I am looking for
the best for my zone, and one that is easily trained. I will be needing
about 20 to line my driveway. BRBR

Are you a troll or an idiot, or are you just ignorant of what a bonsai is?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Old 29-12-2004, 04:39 PM
figaro

From: (Iris Cohen)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.bonsai
Date: 29 Dec 2004 02:16:30 GMT
Subject: What is the best tree to use for bonsai?

I am trying to find a good tree for bonsai in zone 7. I am looking for
the best for my zone, and one that is easily trained. I will be needing
about 20 to line my driveway. BRBR

Are you a troll or an idiot, or are you just ignorant of what a bonsai is?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Wow, that was a little harsh.

I have seen many people use Japanese Black Pine in the way you are
describing and black pines are suitable for your area and easy to train. If
I understand your question, they will not be bonsai in pots but will be
planted in the ground and grown to about 6-10 feet tall with pruning
techniques used to make the tree look like an ancient tree in the bonsai
tradition. I have only seen single specimens and I can't imagine a row of
twenty of these lining a driveway. It sounds like a fantastic idea and I
wish you much success.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Andrew G

news:1104274892.3293928c3a2556a1f2c2b73bc226fed0@t eranews...

--
lantzmich

Hi
Going out on a limb here, and TRY to answer your question. Unfortunately, me
being from Australia, "zones" mean nothing to me.
Quick growing, suitable bonsai are some of the ficus varieties. However, due
to the strong root system they would have to be root pruned twice a year,
which is possible with ficus (here in oz anyway), otherwise you may
eventually find your driveway cracking and lifting.
I understand your idea, and it would look good however i'd be wary of theft.
No matter where you live, there may be someone willing to steal these plants
from the ground for themselves or to sell. I know one or two people jumped
to the conclusion thinking you were a troll or after a hedge. As I said, it
would look nice if only it weren't for the theft problem.
If you were genuinely asking a question, then I apologise for the others
stupid harsh remarks. Failing my help or others, the best place to try is
possibly a local nursery who may have an idea of suitable bonsai for your
area.
Good luck with it.
Cheers
Andrew