GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] What is the best tree to use for bonsai? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/88115-re-%5Bibc%5D-what-best-tree-use-bonsai.html)

Marty Haber 29-12-2004 12:35 AM

[IBC] What is the best tree to use for bonsai?

You have an interesting point of view; but I must admit that it is
diametrically opposed to mine. Hedges are at one end of my botanical
horizon and bonsai are at the extreme opposite end. I have no objection to
removing one plant from a hedge and creating a bonsai with it; but I would
never grow a group of bonsai for the purpose of making a hedge of them.
That being said, I will take the liberty of re-phrasing your inquiry:
" I am trying to find a good tree suitable for a hedge."
If this is the gist of your question, you have a number of good choices to
chose from. In zone 7, a fine hedge can be grown using a columnar yew.
This is an evergreen plant; slow growing, but making a thick, easily pruned
shrub when it matures. For a fast grower, try Arborvitae, which is also
evergreen, but coarser than a yew. The least expensive hedge is Ligustrum,
which is not evergreen, but is a fast grower. There are a number of other
good plants for hedges, including American Holly, Japanese Holly, Barberry
( red or green) and Cotoneaster.
But please, don't confuse a bonsai with a hedge plant.
Iris Cohen 29-12-2004 02:32 AM

I suspect it is a troll, like the one who said the goat ate his bonsai. Ignore
him.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen