Old 11-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Tim Ahlen

Default [IBC] Approach Grafts on JBP

I surprised myself. Last Spring, I attempted two approach grafts to fill in
some empty spaces on a long term JBP project, and they both took! I
unwrapped the grafts this morning and was surprised at how well they have
healed over in just the one year.

Questions-- (1) When do I cut off the part of the old branch that is below
the graft? Do I do it all at once or should I peal the bark off over a
period of time? (2) What kind of after-care do I give it to ensure a strong
connection at the trunk? (3) When is it safe to begin bending it down to a
more natural angle?

Thanks.

Tim Ahlen
Dallas, TX
Zone 8 (sort of-- sometimes)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Jim Lewis

On 11 Jan 2005 at 9:11, Tim Ahlen wrote:

I surprised myself. Last Spring, I attempted two approach grafts to fill in
some empty spaces on a long term JBP project, and they both took! I
unwrapped the grafts this morning and was surprised at how well they have
healed over in just the one year.

Questions-- (1) When do I cut off the part of the old branch that is below
the graft? Do I do it all at once or should I peal the bark off over a
period of time? (2) What kind of after-care do I give it to ensure a strong
connection at the trunk? (3) When is it safe to begin bending it down to a
more natural angle?

Based ONLY on what I've read, I would wait another year before
cutting the connection.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-01-2005, 08:54 PM
MartyWeiser

Tim,

I agree with Jim that waiting a year to separate the old branch is a good
idea. I would also cut it off in stages - nip about 1/3 of the way through
this spring, nip another 1/3 through in mid summer if it continues to grow
well, and make the final cut next spring. If you grafted to make a branch
shorter I would also not cut off all of the old branch beyond the graft at
once. I have heard that this can result in too much sap pressure on the
graft which can spoil a newly healed graft. I have used this approach to
cutting off the approach grafts quite successfully on Scots Pine (P.
sylvestris).

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++