Old 29-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Brian Hagan

Default [IBC] midnight elm

Hello!

I'm new to the IBC and (relatively) new to bonsai. I got my first trees
about three years ago and I'm proud to say I still have them today, with
the exception of a few I tried to propagate from root cuttings.

My question for you today is: have any of you heard of a tree, the
"japanese midnight elm"? I've been trying to find *anyone* who knows
about this tree. It certainly isn't listed in any books. I would like
to know if it's a zelkova or ulmus (I understand they're treated a
little differently). What styles do this tree lend itself to? Mine is
very young and can go several directions, I'm thinking to do a
twin-trunk komono bonsai.

Also, I winter this tree over with my other bonsai in the cold shelter,
but I've heard some elms can be kept indoors?

Thank!
Brian
Pittsburgh PA (zone 5b/6a sunset 40)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Jim Lewis

On 29 Jan 2005 at 5:02, Brian Hagan wrote:

Hello!

I'm new to the IBC and (relatively) new to bonsai. I got my first trees
about three years ago and I'm proud to say I still have them today, with
the exception of a few I tried to propagate from root cuttings.

My question for you today is: have any of you heard of a tree, the
"japanese midnight elm"? I've been trying to find *anyone* who knows
about this tree. It certainly isn't listed in any books.

Nor mine. I suspect this is an invented name by some marketer
aiming to sell something "different."

I would like
to know if it's a zelkova or ulmus (I understand they're treated a
little differently).

Where did you get it? Is it supposed to be imported? Check
descriptions of the leaves of each. They're quite different.

What styles do this tree lend itself to? Mine is
very young and can go several directions, I'm thinking to do a
twin-trunk komono bonsai.

Both species lend themselves to upright forms; their natural
shapes are vase-like. Of course we can twist them into any odd
shape we want. ;-)

Also, I winter this tree over with my other bonsai in the cold shelter,
but I've heard some elms can be kept indoors?

No elms or Zelkova are "indoor trees." The Chinese elm _can_ be
kept inside for long periods of time, but without extra care
(and probably even with) they will decline over time. Zelkova
and most other elms do NOT survive inside.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Steve wachs

I have a few Elms . I never heard of a Midnight Elm. Some elms do fairly well indoors , but without knowing anything your specific Elm its not possible to provide an answer. I have had success with root cuttins from a couple of Elms.
If it is a Zelkova and is a special cultivar, it may be a graft which mean that the roots could be a different species than the rest of the tree
Elms and Zelkovas are favorites trees of mine.

--
SteveW
Long Island NY