Old 30-01-2005, 04:52 PM

Default [IBC] Gratifying?

In a message dated 1/30/05 12:03:09 AM, Theo writes:
I always advise newbies in bonsai to start with some gratifying and easy
growing plant like*Punica granatum .. for those who live in a suitable climate
for them of course.

I had to laugh at this. :-( I guess location is everything. I think I have
killed almost as many pomegranates as serissas. Last year I finally threw out
one I had been struggling with for years. I guess Central New York is definitely
not a suitable climate for pomegranates, even with giving them a rest period
and wintering under fluorescent lights. For me at least, the branches are
brittle, they don't bud back, & the tops die. In the winter they are very
susceptible to chlorosis, so it is hard to get them in show condition. Right now I
have a 'Nana Emperor' which is not doing too badly, but it is the slowest thing
on roots.
I think my most successful bonsai is my 'Seiju' elm. For a grower in UK, I
would definitely suggest 'Jaquelyn Hillier.'
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Henrik Gistvall

I have a pomegranate that grows well here in Sweden. It was started from
seed from a store bought pomegranate fruit. It´s kept in a garage with
no extra light during the whole winter. It dropps it leaves in the fall.
It bud backs like crazy. I have a hard time keeping up with all the buds
I have to remove from the trunk (I can´t even imagine the rate of speed
it will grow in UK or southern US). Branches can be a bit brittle so
wire before the shoots lignify. All and all I think it is a good
beginners tree. I have to agree with Iris though, elms are easy and
Ulmus parvifolia is really easy.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

wrote:

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Theo

Hi Iris

wrote:

In a message dated 1/30/05 12:03:09 AM, Theo writes:

I always advise newbies in bonsai to start with some gratifying and easy
growing plant like Punica granatum .. for those who live in a suitable climate
for them of course.

I had to laugh at this. :-( I guess location is everything. I think I have
killed almost as many pomegranates as serissas.

I have 2 pomegrenate since 5 years and all freeze during winter even
if they are under a shelter and serissa since two years (sendond
winther)fromm cuttings and rooted well actually ,the pot is a bucket od
stone becouse of ice and leaves are all green will see next week as
temps are supposed to go into positive
Last year I finally threw out
one I had been struggling with for years. I guess Central New York is definitely
not a suitable climate for pomegranates, even with giving them a rest period
and wintering under fluorescent lights.

maybe you should not use florescente lighs mine are outside on a
balcony all year , and under a plastic shelter roof now

http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/i...o&PhotoID=1088
sometimes is just a matter of bad luck or good luck with some specimens
For me at least, the branches are
brittle, they don't bud back, & the tops die. In the winter they are very
susceptible to chlorosis, so it is hard to get them in show condition. Right now I
have a 'Nana Emperor' which is not doing too badly, but it is the slowest thing
on roots.
I think my most successful bonsai is my 'Seiju' elm. For a grower in UK, I
would definitely suggest 'Jaquelyn Hillier.'

well Maybe NY is a little bit colder than switzerland look what we
had 2 days ago :
http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/n...o&PhotoID=1074
But sometimes even in northern countries they have a mild climate like
in some Englsh islands or micro climate
so one has to find out what is mostly suitable for him between the
indigenous plants

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 30-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Theo

Henrik Gistvall wrote:

I have a pomegranate that grows well here in Sweden. It was started from
seed from a store bought pomegranate fruit. It´s kept in a garage with
no extra light during the whole winter.

when it has no leaves teh light is useles you could also put izt
inside a garage
My zelkova was wrapped with paper to keep teh branches in broom
style all winther and never suffered of it

It dropps it leaves in the fall.
It bud backs like crazy. I have a hard time keeping up with all the buds
I have to remove from the trunk (I can´t even imagine the rate of speed
it will grow in UK or southern US). Branches can be a bit brittle so
wire before the shoots lignify. All and all I think it is a good
beginners tree.

yes can be formed in all styles

I have to agree with Iris though, elms are easy and
Ulmus parvifolia is really easy.

yeas but wear no flower and no fruits :-)