GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Pomegranates (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/89376-re-%5Bibc%5D-pomegranates.html)

[email protected] 01-02-2005 01:13 PM

[IBC] Pomegranates

In a message dated 2/1/05 12:02:13 AM, Theo writes:
I think that for the plants that lose their leaves you should mybe put them
in the basement or garage

A basement only works if it is unheated. In this part of the US just about
all basements are heated. That's where the furnace is. I used to keep my hardy
bonsai in the garage. The unheated (or I should say low-heat) sunporch works
much better. Thanks for the information on pomegranates. I will expose mine to
more cold in the future. I have been wiring the green twigs, as you suggested,
using 1 mm wire. Sometimes I use florist's wire, which is even finer. I also
do this with maples. With maples you have to be careful. Wire a green branch on
a maple in the spring, & two weeks later it is scarred.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Theo 01-02-2005 03:11 PM

Hi Iris
wrote:

In a message dated 2/1/05 12:02:13 AM, Theo writes:

I think that for the plants that lose their leaves you should mybe put them
in the basement or garage

A basement only works if it is unheated. In this part of the US just about
all basements are heated.

correct

That's where the furnace is. I used to keep my hardy
bonsai in the garage. The unheated (or I should say low-heat) sunporch works
much better. Thanks for the information on pomegranates. I will expose mine to
more cold in the future. I have been wiring the green twigs, as you suggested,
using 1 mm wire. Sometimes I use florist's wire, which is even finer. I also
do this with maples. With maples you have to be careful. Wire a green branch on
a maple in the spring, & two weeks later it is scarred.

I know , I had a branch on a maple indented with wire 20 yaars ago and
you can still see it ...the scar grows fatter than the branch
unless I cannot do otherwise I wrap wire with a foil of polistirene
or use tensors using a small piece of cork, bamboo or rubber between
the wire and the branch

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :