Old 01-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Nina

Default If you ever wondered....

.....what exactly I did for a living, look no farther:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/feb05/oak0205.htm
Nina. It's not off-topic: you'll learn a lot!

Old 01-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Jim Lewis

On 1 Feb 2005 at 12:43, Nina wrote:

....what exactly I did for a living, look no farther:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/feb05/oak0205.htm
Nina. It's not off-topic: you'll learn a lot!

Yes. Informative. Nice article. Nice picture . . . BUT:

"fungus-like microbe" ??????? (2nd paragraph)

Jim Lewis - - Already tired of hobbling
around (barely) and sitting with his knee elevated.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Jim Lewis

On 1 Feb 2005 at 12:43, Nina wrote:

....what exactly I did for a living, look no farther:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/feb05/oak0205.htm
Nina. It's not off-topic: you'll learn a lot!

And I've already downloaded my "high-resolution" (300 dpi)
picture!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - and aching!

Old 02-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Nina

Jim Lewis wrote:
.. BUT:

"fungus-like microbe" ??????? (2nd paragraph)

What are you objecting to? The fact that the article is written at a
7th grade level? This is because our congressmen use "Agricultural
Research" to understand the issues. [insert joke here]

Or are you wondering why it isn't called a fungus? Because the
Oomycetes have been taken out of the kingdom Fungi and put in the
Straminopiles, in the Kingdom Plantae, right next to the golden algae.
Mycologists have known this for decades (Phytophthora is diploid and
has cellulose walls- fungi are haploid and have chitin walls); we just
didn't want the aggravation of calling them "fungus-like microbes".
Nina.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:26 AM
Iris Cohen

Very interesting. Good picture of Nina.
It's nice to know our government is doing something constructive for a change.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Old 02-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Jim Lewis

On 1 Feb 2005 at 15:13, Nina wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:
. BUT:

"fungus-like microbe" ??????? (2nd paragraph)

What are you objecting to? The fact that the article is written at a
7th grade level? This is because our congressmen use "Agricultural
Research" to understand the issues. [insert joke here]

Or are you wondering why it isn't called a fungus? Because the
Oomycetes have been taken out of the kingdom Fungi and put in the
Straminopiles, in the Kingdom Plantae, right next to the golden algae.
Mycologists have known this for decades (Phytophthora is diploid and
has cellulose walls- fungi are haploid and have chitin walls); we just
didn't want the aggravation of calling them "fungus-like microbes".
Nina.

I think I was just hoping for a more technical term -- like
"critter."

Actually, I learned somethin' here (which is always nice). I
thought Phytophthora was a fungus. So IS there a layman's
(common) term for Oomycetes (which actually sounds kinda neat).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 02-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Theo

HI Nina
Impressive..
in fact the old habit of washing the old pots with chlorine and
make our own mix using sterilized soil is still the best solution..
but after a while we put down the guard

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 02-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Nina

Jim Lewis wrote:
Actually, I learned somethin' here (which is always nice). I
thought Phytophthora was a fungus. So IS there a layman's
(common) term for Oomycetes (which actually sounds kinda neat).

The layman's term for Oomycete is "water mold". Pythium and
Phytophthora have motile spores (they look like sperm, only they have 2
tails) that require water to spread. One of my favorite things is to
induce zoospore formation and then watch thousands of them swimming
around. They're so cute!

Here's what makes Oomycetes so versatile, however: they have 4 kinds of
spores that are dispersed in different ways. Take the sudden oak death
organism: the sporangiospores are formed *on* the leaf and are spread
by water splash from tree to tree; these burst open and release the
zoospores, which either infect leaves directly, or are spread in rivers
hundreds of miles downstream. Meanwhile, thick-walled chlamydospores
form within the leaf, and when the leaf falls off, they are buried in
the soil, where they can persist for at least a year (by my studies!).
If male colonies meet female colonies, Oospores are formed. Oospores
are the sexual stage, and can therefore recombine characters to create
more virulent organisms; they are also thick-walled, and can persist in
soils for a very long time (in other phytophthoras, for at least 10
years). Luckily, with P. ramorum, we only have one mating type in the
US, so the sexual state can't form. Yet.

Anyway, these 4 spore types explain why phytophthoras have been the
most devastating plant pathogens in history. They caused the great
potato famine that changed the history of Ireland (and made the US a
more exciting and dynamic place, thanks to the Irish immigrants who
fled here).

To turn to bonsai: you can make life inhospitable to water molds by
using clean pots and potting mix, to avoid chlamydospores and Oospores.
You should irrigate so that water doesn't spread from pot to pot,
either by pooling or by splash. You should avoid heavy potting mixes
that get soggy. And you should be careful to root-prune in a clean
place so the fresh wounds don't get inoculated.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Nina

Theo asked about spread, which I mostly answered. However, insects are
probably critical to how the fungus gets under the bark of oaks and
causes the cankers that kill them. The fungus is also spread by
hikers, on their boots, by cars, and probably by birds and deer. A
researcher in England who was working in a historic park there says it
is also spread by....... wallabies.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Theo

Nina wrote:

Theo asked about spread, which I mostly answered.

yes you did Arggh !
but very interesting
Thanks :-D

However, insects are
probably critical to how the fungus gets under the bark of oaks and
causes the cankers that kill them. The fungus is also spread by
hikers, on their boots, by cars, and probably by birds and deer. A
researcher in England who was working in a historic park there says it
is also spread by....... wallabies.

amusing .... well fecies contains a lot of alive organisms and are an
excellent vehicle for seeds also

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Ever wondered, Mass immigration. We never wanted it. So who'sresponsible for it and why? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 19-03-2009 03:45 PM
OT just wondered 'Mike' United Kingdom 0 17-09-2007 10:39 AM
Just wondered if anyone else's plants are flowering when they shouldn't be? tom&barbara United Kingdom 8 16-10-2006 01:16 AM
[IBC] If you ever wondered.... Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 11 03-02-2005 06:50 PM
[IBC] 'Pure Gold....' Update - Just in case you wondered richard patefield Bonsai 0 01-04-2004 07:58 PM