Old 11-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Willem Carstens

Default [IBC] Lower branches on Trident Maple.

Hi All

I have a trident maple with a really nicely tapered trunk, however all my
branches are currently
on the top third of the trunk.How do i go about encouraging lower branches
or do i have
to cut all branches off and start from scratch.

Regards
Willem Carstens
Johannesburg,South Africa.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 AM

We have the same problem. I chopped off the branches, hoping that they
grow back more thicker, but alas, they now looked bald.

but if you want to try it. good luck!

Old 11-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Keith

you could try thread grafting to solve your problem.

keith

ups.com...

Old 11-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Theo

Hi Willem

Willem Carstens wrote:

Hi All

I have a trident maple with a really nicely tapered trunk, however all my
branches are currently
on the top third of the trunk.How do i go about encouraging lower branches
or do i have
to cut all branches off and start from scratch.

put it in a container a wooden box 4 fingers deep and the size to
contain comfortably your tree probably 50 cm x 40 cm drill some holes
for drainage and put the trident in it with a good soil eitehr akadama
or a regular soil 1/3 clay sand and black loam and leave it tehre
for 2 years the third clip a little bit the roots and leave 2 more
yares in the box

during this time keep control of the apex but leave theh lower
branches grow from spring to autumn & cut them in autumn the size you
need and leave thehm grow again the follwing year same , business
and you'll have the low branches thicker more furnished and the
trunk still tapered and thicker as well

you can do the same making instead of a wooden box a round box t
just with metallic grid 3x3 mm holes, roots will not get over the
holes and you will not risk to have rot rots , an excellent drainage
and air circulation but of course according your climate survay
evaporation it is higher than in a wooden box or pot

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 11-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Willem Carstens

I realize that South Africa is a large country with a variety of
weather/climate conditions, BUT I wouldn't think a Trident Maple would

ever be
happy there.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Yes, here in Johannesburg they do fine.You need to keep them in semi shade
during summer
to prevent leaf burn but other than that they are ok.However Johannesburg
is alot milder than
some other places in the country and it gets cold enough(just) in winter to
cause maples to go into
dormancy.We even have them as street trees.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Marty Haber

One way of dealing with the problem is to wire the lowest branches down.
It's difficult, because maples tend to have rather brittle wood. One
procedure is to cut a notch on the bottom of the crotch where the branch
meets the trunk before applying the wire. Then apply cut paste to the wound
and close the gap by wiring the branch down. Another technique is to wrap
wet rattan or tape tightly around the branch before wiring it. This keeps
the cambium from separating from the heart wood. The main idea is to get
the end of the branch as low as possible, because this to where the viewer's
eye is attracted.
I have a trident maple with a really nicely tapered trunk, however all my
branches are currently
on the top third of the trunk.How do i go about encouraging lower branches
or do i have
to cut all branches off and start from scratch.

Regards
Willem Carstens
Johannesburg,South Africa.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Theo

Keith wrote:

you could try thread grafting to solve your problem.

keith

possible but it takes 2 years to take hold , if takes hold ,and
after you need to built them anyway so = 4 years

Old 11-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Theo

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

I realize that South Africa is a large country with a variety of
weather/climate conditions, BUT I wouldn't think a Trident Maple would ever be
happy there.

Trident are hardy and South Africa especially if on the sea coast has
a wonderful climate

Old 11-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Theo

Willem Carstens wrote:

I realize that South Africa is a large country with a variety of
weather/climate conditions, BUT I wouldn't think a Trident Maple would

ever be

happy there.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Yes, here in Johannesburg they do fine.You need to keep them in semi shade
during summer
to prevent leaf burn but other than that they are ok.However Johannesburg
is alot milder than
some other places in the country and it gets cold enough(just) in winter to
cause maples to go into
dormancy.We even have them as street trees.

Like in Japan as bushe garden too

Old 11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Theo

Hi Willem
sorry I did not read properly your mail ,yes thread grafting is the
best solution
Trident wood is very hard so beware when you pierce not to burn the
wookd and bark

read instructions well
than start already now to leave nice valid branches to grow
straight and long and you will graft in next spring 06 unless you
already have long and flexibles thin branches available now and can
do next spring 05
I did on a deshojo 2 years ago in sept was not the right moment and
was my first one , and it grew wonderfully, I with aeparate this spring
Theo

Old 11-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Jim Lewis

On 11 Feb 2005 at 14:53, Theo wrote:

Keith wrote:

you could try thread grafting to solve your problem.

keith

possible but it takes 2 years to take hold , if takes hold ,and
after you need to built them anyway so = 4 years

In My book, grafting is the cure of last resort. It is only
worthwhile on a tree with EXCEPTIONAL promise, and if you have
to graft a large number of branches, how do you know the tree
has promise?

Sometimes if you nick the bark all the way through the cambium
layer -- using a very sharp knife -- that will stimulate buds
developing just over the nick.

It sounds to me, however, that this tree needs so much work that
you'd be much better off planting it in the ground and letting
it go wild for a few years.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 11-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Steve wachs

Pinching back from the upper most portion of the tree can encourage it to
push out new growth lower down the trunk

SteveW

Long Island NY

Old 11-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Steven Wachs

When you want to force growth from the trunk at a lower point on some trees,
you remove the upper most apex of the tree. this sends some sort of signal
to the rest of the tree to push out new growth in an effort for the tree to
establish a new apex. Once you remove a portion of the apex the tree will push
out new growth all over he tree. then is just a matter of picking the new
growth you want. Trident Maples respond very well to this method. of course then
you have to establish the desired branch to achieve a thickness greater than
the ones above it.
Trident is a great tree to work with for this reason. It responds well to
the general rules of pruning and pinching

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 11-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Jim Lewis

On 11 Feb 2005 at 10:10, Steven Wachs wrote:

When you want to force growth from the trunk at a lower point on some trees,
you remove the upper most apex of the tree. this sends some sort of signal
to the rest of the tree to push out new growth in an effort for the tree to
establish a new apex. Once you remove a portion of the apex the tree will push
out new growth all over he tree. then is just a matter of picking the new
growth you want. Trident Maples respond very well to this method. of course then
you have to establish the desired branch to achieve a thickness greater than
the ones above it.
Trident is a great tree to work with for this reason. It responds well to
the general rules of pruning and pinching

Before I "removed" an apex, assuming I liked it, I'd merely try
total defoliation on the topmost part of the tree,

Jim Lewis - - Hit THINK before you hit SEND
-- AND PLEASE SNIP POSTS!