GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Oil Dry & Bark Mulch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/89908-re-%5Bibc%5D-oil-dry-bark-mulch.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 17-02-2005 09:58 AM

[IBC] Oil Dry & Bark Mulch

In a message dated 2/16/2005 9:56:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

...How bad REALLY is a nice big bag of oil dry from Northern Tools?

It could be your worst nightmare or it could be OK. Some "oil dry" is
very fine and will not work. You want the larger particles. You must buy a
bag and test it. Take a few tablespoons in put in a clear glass of hot water.
Wait, at least 48 hours. If the "oil dry" turns to mush, you can't use it. If it
is still nice and firm, go ahead.
Turface can usually be purchased for a reasonable price from a golf
course supply. Try stopping at a local course and ask the groundskeeper where he
gets his Turface. Around here "Lesco" is a big supplier.
I have purchased "cypress mulch" from Wal Mart and Turface. These
mixed at 50/50 are being used for some Junipers from Brent Watson.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Craig Cowing 17-02-2005 01:04 PM

writes:

...How bad REALLY is a nice big bag of oil dry from Northern Tools?

snip
Turface can usually be purchased for a reasonable price from a
golf
course supply. Try stopping at a local course and ask the
groundskeeper where he
gets his Turface. Around here "Lesco" is a big supplier.
snip

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

If you are lucky enough you can find a Turface distributor near you.
Go to their website and get the toll-free number. They can tell you
where the nearest distributor is. That way you can get it for around
$10-11 a bag.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Jim Stone 17-02-2005 02:08 PM

John:

"I hate to ask this, but...I lost my main client and I just got my wife
working so bonsai soil is low on the money list...how bad REALLY is a nice
big bag of oil dry from Northern Tools? Silted through some window screening
of course..."

Heinous. It will turn in to muck before summer. I would get you a 35 gallon
rubbermaid trash can and go to Maas nursery in Kemah. For about $10 you can
fill it with Haydite. Take it from the rain-washed material on top and you
could minimize fines...

"On top of that, what is the cheapest bark mulch or organic component?"

You can get a "landscaper's soil conditioner" from Walmart for about $1.99 a
bag.

While this is sacrelage (sp), there are those out there that do minimal sifting
or none at all but merely water thoroughly after repotting until the drainage
runs clear...

50-50 or 30-70 will work fine in our clime, watch the watering frequency if you
don't sift.

Give a shout by PM if you want more info...

Jim Stone
Galveston TX

Lurker 17-02-2005 08:33 PM

Wow! Some info I can really use! I live about 4 miles from them. My
daughter worked for them for years. Where is this pile of Haydite?

Ted in TLV

On 17 Feb 2005 06:08:09 -0800, Jim Stone wrote:

[...]

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

http://www.opera.com/m2/