Old 01-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Tex John

Guys,

I've done some research here and it looks like we can try to set the mailing
list software to block cross-posts. ALL the posts in that thread were
cross-posted.

I didn't recognize any of the names (when I looked) of senders as being
regular RAB posters nor mailing list subscribers.

It is just one of those things that blows up exponentially when someone
cross-posts to a dozen groups at a time.

Newsguy does a great job of keeping RAB clean. If you are a part of any
other newsgroup, you know that's true. If you aren't, then you would not
believe the number of times I've been offered a girl for Friday night in the
FORD newsgroup! But not one made it onto RAB.

I've contacted both our ng provider and our mailing list provider. They both
said to make sure all of you understand to never reply to the list on posts
like these -- mailing list or otherwise.

I hope Jim can plug in these filters. You may see a bunch of test messages
while he tries them out. If they work, that will cut out the [only] two
pieces of spam/OT posts that did make it to the list this month.

John

Old 01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Jim Lewis

On 1 Mar 2005 at 18:24, Wayne C. Morris wrote:

In article 422310E3.15508.2711EC@localhost,
(Jim Lewis) wrote:

On 28 Feb 2005 at 10:53, Beckenbach, Jay wrote:

First, we as individual users of the list (either directly or through
the digest) control what is in the archives. If we ignore the spam
then it takes very little space in the archives and could be edited
out if necessary

Well, it is possible to edit out individual messages, but it is a
tedious and VERY complicated process, and one that the slightest error
can (and will) mess up the entire archive indexing scheme.

As former list manager, I would not recommend it to Shelly.

[snip]

Do you mean "edit out" as in changing the contents of a message in the
mailing list archives, or removing the message from the archives entirely?
I've seen a few web forums that do the former because it's a lot easier;
they just change it to something like "[obvious trolling removed by admin]".

Archives in web forums (fora?) must be easy to edit. Archives
in our text-based e-mail list, kept as part of an detailed
indexed database are NOT.

And by "edit out" I think we meant simply eliminate the
offensive message.

Jim Lewis -
- Hit THINK before you hit SEND

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++