GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] ulmus parvifolia growth and pruning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/90311-%5Bibc%5D-ulmus-parvifolia-growth-pruning.html)

Lee Braiden 27-02-2005 10:37 PM

[IBC] ulmus parvifolia growth and pruning

Hi,

Recently acquired my first bonsai: an approx. 15 year-old chinese elm. I'm
trying to keep it indoors, on a window sill.

Now, it *seems* to be growing well so far... lots of green growth lately; more
than I expected. Though the spacing of nodes on the new growth seems to be
wider than earlier growth. I'm wondering if this is due to less light
indoors?

Also, what is the best time/frequency/severity for pruning it? I've read some
advice to prune throughout the growing season, and other advice to wait until
summer since pruning in spring causes longer internode length.

Any thoughts?

--
Lee.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 27-02-2005 10:55 PM

In a message dated 2/27/2005 5:38:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

An approx. 15 year-old Chinese elm. I'm trying to keep it indoors, on a
window sill.

I would question the validity of the age thing, but age isn't as
important as what the tree looks like. An ugly old tree is still ugly.

The tree will be happier if it can be outside as much as possible.

Where in general do you live and who did you buy the tree from?

Though the spacing of nodes on the new growth seems to be wider than
earlier growth. I'm wondering if this is due to less light indoors?

Of course it is.

Also, what is the best time/frequency/severity for pruning it? I've read
some
advice to prune throughout the growing season,

Chinese Elms grow so fast that you must prune constantly as they grow.
I pinch the tips as soon as there are three or four leaves.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++