GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Building Benches (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/90607-%5Bibc%5D-building-benches.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 07-03-2005 08:14 AM

[IBC] Building Benches

As the weather warms here on the Space Coast I need to move plants out of the
greenhouse, but two of my benches are in sad shape.
So, I spent Sunday building two new benches, with the help of Mrs. Rhodes.
Actually I only finished one. I underestimated on materials and had to return
to Lowe's.
But, the second will be quickly finished next Sunday.
The tops measure 36 inches by 96 inches and are covered with 2 x 4 inch
galvanized fencing. The benches are 40 inches high.
I use mostly 2 x 4 inch pressure treated lumber, with some 1 x 4 for bracing.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Shelly Hurd 07-03-2005 05:55 PM

Billy,

The fencing sounds interesting, does it last longer than wood? I use
redwood for my bench tops, and I have two that are 9 years old and no rot
problems or anything. The weathered wood looks really nice.

Regards,
Shelly Hurd - Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

The tops measure 36 inches by 96 inches and are covered with 2 x 4 inch
galvanized fencing. The benches are 40 inches high.
I use mostly 2 x 4 inch pressure treated lumber, with some 1 x 4 for

bracing.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 07-03-2005 10:43 PM

In a message dated 3/7/2005 12:56:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

The fencing sounds interesting, does it last longer than wood? I use
redwood for my bench tops, and I have two that are 9 years old and no rot
problems or anything. The weathered wood looks really nice.

I don't know how long it will last. Galvanized metal not in contact
with the ground should last effectively for ever.
Redwood would be a lot more attractive, more expensive and not as
available in Florida as in California.